Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, If this belongs in OT, please move, thanks.

I picked up GAPassatman's 69 Merc 220 Sedan last weekend and it really needs some tunes. I want to do a stealth install because it would be a crime to cut an interior as nice as this one. First I need a CD head unit that fits into the original location and has a vintage look suitable to the period and style of the car. Is there such a thing? I remember JC Whitney used to sell something like this for vintage VWs a while back, but I didn't find anything on their web site. If anyone has a line on something like this I'd appreciate the help.

Next I've got to figure out where to put the speakers. I'm currently thinking about the footwells cause I just can't cut holes in the doors.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re: Where to find 60's vintage looking CD receiver (bulliboy)

a nice deck that has modern age technology in it but is somewhat stealth looking was called the Alpine 7909...however this may be somewhat modern for your application...consequently this deck was also one of the better SQ decks ever made

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

yea i wouldnt wage to guess you'll find a whole lot with quality performance and the look of an old deck...pretty much its either new age performance or older more antique stuff....the thing you speak of in JC whitney was not a very high end deck but would probably suit your purpose

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Where to find 60's vintage looking CD receiver (Z28Driver)

Yea, the car is to be my wife's daily driver, so a high end sound isn't required, just something that sounds decent for her CDs.

I may end up with one of the hide away systems, maybe I can embelish it to look like an old blockoff plate

<![CDATA[Yea, the car is to be my wife's daily driver, so a high end sound isn't required, just something that sounds decent for her CDs.

I may end up with one of the hide away systems, maybe I can embelish it to look like an old blockoff plate

[Modified by bulliboy, 11:33 PM 10/20/2002]

·
Registered
477 Posts

Check with one of the more creative car stereo places in your area ... ask them to cut the face off the original radio and turn it into a cover for a new system.

I've seen this done so that you remove the cover, and the new system is recessed ... and also where you fold the cover down, and the new system pulls out - kind of like a drawer with a drop front.

Just my $0.02 ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts