Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No need to remove wax first. All painted areas should be clayed. Can also use it on glass surfaces such as your windshield. Don't apply in the sun or hot area-preferred garage space is best.
Follow: Wash...chamois dry...clay...wax...RainX...Back to Black and then tires.....photos...post...get praise from fellows B5ers!!! It's only about a 6-hour venture and then don't forget the interior!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's about, wait, no, it's 7:11 here, so I think I won't get it done today. But maybe in a week, ugh... I hate work.

I'm going to wash it now, maybe clay the hood, and clean, sand, and re-paint the calipers... :D Maybe a pic... or three.

See ya'!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
clay barring is sooooo cool. It took me a good 6-7 hours to wash, clay bar, wax and clean the interior last week but it was so worth it. the car is so smooooooooth now. the clay grabs all the contaminants(sp?) in the paint and leaves it smooth....... it's so kewl. too bad you can't do it too often :sad: but it's worth the work tho!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Mackman, all you need to do is use DAWN. After you get your car into good condition you DON'T need to use DAWN anymore. Any abrasive polish will remove wax.

·
Registered
718 Posts
cool. My cars in the shop know getting the LF fender replaced and painted. The guy there told me to wait atleast 30 days to wash or wax the new area. Is this true? I wasn't gonna clay bar the newley painted areas, but does anyone think I should? Also, he said they like to use Meguiars #7 mirror glaze for polishing newer cars with a clearcoat finish. Anyone have experience with this stuff? I use Meguiars Gold class polish (the liquid stuff) right now, but would the #7 work better? I'm sure it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If your car is anything like mine was when I first clayed it, it is the back side (between the tail lights) that will need it the most. Of course, clay all the paint, but I'm just saying I was amazed how rough that particular area was on my car. And this was only about 2 months after getting it from the dealer.

If you want to test the smoothness of the paint, get a plastic sandwich bag, put your hand in it and lightly glide your fingers over the paint. It will probably feel rough. Clay it and then test. You'll be pleased with the difference!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
mackman said:
cool. My cars in the shop know getting the LF fender replaced and painted. The guy there told me to wait atleast 30 days to wash or wax the new area. Is this true? I wasn't gonna clay bar the newley painted areas, but does anyone think I should? Also, he said they like to use Meguiars #7 mirror glaze for polishing newer cars with a clearcoat finish. Anyone have experience with this stuff? I use Meguiars Gold class polish (the liquid stuff) right now, but would the #7 work better? I'm sure it would be cheaper.
Mackman, I have used #7(Show Car Glaze) with great results. The product takes awhile to get use to because #7 has alot of oils in it. If it smears makes sure to go over the panel again. After your application of #7 use NXT, #26 Gold Glass Paste or Liquid wax or #16. I prefer #16 myself.

#7,NXT and #16 and that was just after a thunderstorm.

Next week I plan on using #82 or #83 to tackle the swirls and then reapply #7 and then #16.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A-Tiller-the hun said:
major areas are the hood roof and the front of the car...

but you should do the entire car... there are contaminants everywhere on the paint...
I just clayed my car last week. I would say that the greatest paint contamination was behind the front wheels beneath the mid-door trim. I ws surprised how little contamination was on the hood.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
AntWrig said:
mackman said:
Mackman, I have used #7(Show Car Glaze) with great results. The product takes awhile to get use to because #7 has alot of oils in it. If it smears makes sure to go over the panel again. After your application of #7 use NXT, #26 Gold Glass Paste or Liquid wax or #16. I prefer #16 myself.

#7,NXT and #16 and that was just after a thunderstorm.

Next week I plan on using #82 or #83 to tackle the swirls and then reapply #7 and then #16.
If you use #83 then #82 there should be no need for #7 , Try using NXT then top it 24 hours later with #16. It will stun you.

This is one I did last week with #82 then NXT followed with #16

This is mine clayed, polished with Menzerna polishes , Zainoed and topped with #16

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.