Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!

i have a 1.8t aeb engine 1998 model

please can you advise me as to where can i locate the PCV valve? as having sludge problems.

thanks

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Take off the intake snorkel that leads to the airbox. Then look down at the intake hose that goes to the turbo. it's that round valve looking thingy.

Josh

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does the PCV need to be changed or can it be cleaned out with and reused? How can you tell if it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i think that round pcv valve is used on every 4 cylinder vw motor. It looks exactly like the same pcv valve I had to replace on my old '96 2.0L jetta.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
teddert2 said:
Does the PCV need to be changed or can it be cleaned out with and reused? How can you tell if it needs to be replaced?
I cleaned and reused mine,should be fine. I would have replaced it since it is cheap,but the dealer was out.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
so what does the PCV do? I can see mine- but i'm curiuos exactly what it does-and if cleaning it would provide a 'better' performance.

E

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
PCV = Positive crankcase ventilation

Allows gasses trapped in the crankcase to expand or contract without blowing out the seals and gaskets in the engine (i.e. valve cover gasket, piston rings, camshaft seals, cylinder head gasket, etc). Typically these gasses are full of oil/fuel vapors and are routed from the PCV valve into the intake to be burned in combustion. That's why people complain that they have an oil residue in their intake system (DV, IC, hoses, etc).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
notapreppie,

cool thanks for the info-- luckily i don't see those signs/symptoms..

e

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the PCV valve ("the black puck") supposed to be able to keep some kind of pressure??? I pulled the PCV out and I could blow through it without any resistance in both directions (after emtying it from a spoonful of oil). Is it normal that there is no restriction of flow???

I'm confused because it will always allow extra air into the system past the MAF, so I'd imagine that at least there should be a pressure requirement.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Spirare, I have a different part # for the PCV valve compared to the one in your write up (034-129-101B).

The one in my car is 06A-129-101A.

And from my local stealer (this time) your part # is $25, the one in my car is $60 something.

P.S. I wanted to add this to your write-up but since it is now in Info, I will need help from a mod to put it there.

Edit: after reading the response below: mine is AWM

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The AWM part is more $$. No need to replace, just flush it out and reuse it. It's not really a valve, it's more of a mini catch-can.

In addition, there is a "real" PCV valve located under the manifold. Look for part #6 in these pictures...

http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpages.com/b5/PCV-1998-2000.pdf
http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpages.com/b5/PCV-2001-2002.pdf
http://www.peteandmichelle.lunarpages.com/b5/PCV-2003-2005.pdf

The "real" PCV valve does most of the work when the manifold is under vacuum. The "puck" near the airbox really only vents crankcase air when the manifold is under pressure.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I own a an AEB (1998) and have removed and "flushed" out the "black puck". Is there any mechanical action inside this part? When you look inside it there seems to be a metal spring...why would there be a spring in it if it is just supposed to collect goo?

:confused:

Loren

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The spring acts as a "grating" to keep the larger more-solid crud from re-entering the intake. It's the simplest way to put a few bars of metal across the puck's tiny internal opening.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i broke mine changin a hose. it ran ok for a few days till my new one arrived. ordered 1 from 1stvwparts and they sent me 2 for the price of 1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
The car will run perfectly without this valve, it's circulating the air/gas only for environmental reasons. When I was hunting for a leak in I disconnected the valve and plugged the hole in the intake, just to rule out a leak there. No probs. But I guess no performance to gain...even if the gasses circulated are hot and might in theory reduce the performance of the turbo... :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts