Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I'm very low in power steering fluid. I went to buy some at a local auto store, but noticed when I went to add the fluid the power steering reservoir stated "hydrolic fluid." I then called my local VW dealership and I was told the VW takes a special kind fluid. They carried what was called a semi-synthetic hydrolic fluid, but at $24.00 a liter I was hoping to find a better deal. Any suggestions??? TIA

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Mine was $20 per liter at the dealer. If you can find Pentosin CHF-11S it is the exact same stuff, just in a different bottle.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
I actually went to the dealer yesturday and got some...$9.00. Can't beat that! And what a difference!
That would be a GREAT price on a full litre, and not bad for a half-litre. My local NAPA store does carry Pentosin PS fluid, but I paid a bit more than you did.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
... i need to get some brake fluid too.
Valvoline Synpower. A $6 1-qt. bottle from AZO should do it for you.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Looks like I need to go to the dealer for some too.
Granted it's getting cold now, but where has the fluid gone? Mine barely touches the dipstick, it's below 'low.' And the steering was a little 'noisy' the other day. Am I springing a leak?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just to follow up, I purchased the "small" bottle this morning for $10 at the dealer. It's about a pint I suppose, didn't look.
I said "Do you carry Pentosyn, the power steering fluid for VW cars?" And the parts guy looked at me like a deer in headlights. He says "Do you mean power steering fluid for VWs?" I said yup. hmmmm.
Topped it off. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Uh Oh I put in Autozone brand this AM. Tech said it was all the same Hydraulic fluid; guess i need to flush and refill soon huh? But my problem didn't go away i still have the grinding rubber sound whilst turning to the right only???? resevoir was down to minimum so i thought this was the problem; guess not now that it still makes the noise with wrong fluid :(

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Uh Oh I put in Autozone brand this AM. Tech said it was all the same Hydraulic fluid; guess i need to flush and refill soon huh? But my problem didn't go away i still have the grinding rubber sound whilst turning to the right only???? resevoir was down to minimum so i thought this was the problem; guess not now that it still makes the noise with wrong fluid :(
Change it ASAP! Unless it says Pentosin CHF-11S on the side it's not good. Nothing destroys your steering rack faster then using the wrong fluid.

One thing I learned really quick about Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc is that unless you get lucky and have an enthusiast working there -- they don't know shit about European cars.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Follow up...

original post by me:
"Looks like I need to go to the dealer for some too.
Granted it's getting cold now, but where has the fluid gone? Mine barely touches the dipstick, it's below 'low.' And the steering was a little 'noisy' the other day. Am I springing a leak?"

Well it's been almost 3 weeks since I topped off and the level hasn't changed. Strange. Hopefully it'll go another 2.5 years before I need to top off again :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Granted it's getting cold now, but where has the fluid gone? Mine barely touches the dipstick, it's below 'low.' Am I springing a leak?
Well, mine appears to be leaking straight out of the bottom of the reservoir, from where the pipe joins the tank. Anyone got any tips or advice before I drain the reservoir, snip the end off of the hose and have a go at re-seating it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you cannot find Pentosin, I notice Comma produce a Central Hydraulic Fluid called CHF 11S. According to the information, it meets VW/Audi G 002 000/TL52146, BMW 81.22.9.407.758, Opel B040.0070, MB 345.00. Porsche 000.043.203.33, MAN 3623/93 CHF11S, ISO 7308, DIN 51 524T2

£9.99 in the UK for 1 litre...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts