Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an intermittant ABS fault code for my left rear brake. I'm guessing (and hoping) it's just a loose electrical connection. Can someone tell me where the relay is located? How hard is it to diagnose this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike
2000 v6 5spd Variant 60k

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIY newsgroup for Passat owners? (A useful website?)

Is there a site for Passat owners who want to do their own work? My last car was Saab, and Saabnet was awesome. If you were replacing the head gasket, and needed to know how, members would point you five different websites with instructions (most with pictures), and then engage in an argument about the torque wrench specs.

On this site, a member posts a message that he had a supercharger installed in his motor, and he gets 2483 views and 108 pointless messages of congratulations. Not much technical discussion, or info regarding the install b/c he had someone else install it for him. In contrast, my request for the location of a simple electrical item gets 20 views and 1 non-substantive response.

Ok, I'm probably setting myself up to get flamed, and that's not my intention. For the record, I am also very jealous of Julianfang's upgrade. And I appreciate Rusty's response, b/c he wants this info too. But seriously, this site seems useless if we aren't helping each other out.

Mike Powers
2000 v6 5spd Variant

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mike, If your ABS sensor is not plugged in ALL THE WAY you will get a ABS fault.
After I installed new shocks, I got a ABS fault. I hit the sensor when I was installing the new shock.The ABS sensor LOOKED like it was plugged in all the way, but it was not.

Good Luck!

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Re: DIY newsgroup for Passat owners? (A useful website?)

Mike Powers said:
...On this site, a member posts a message that he had a supercharger installed in his motor, and he gets 2483 views and 108 pointless messages of congratulations. Not much technical discussion, or info regarding the install b/c he had someone else install it for him. In contrast, my request for the location of a simple electrical item gets 20 views and 1 non-substantive response.

Ok, I'm probably setting myself up to get flamed...
OK, here goes: FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of CB5. There's a few of us who occasionally grumble for a tech forum...

OK - tonight, I will delve into the bowels of my Bentley manual and see if I can find the location of the ABS relay. Sorry - I was lazy and hoping someone else would do it... :wink: :D

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Re: where is the relay?

Mike Powers said:
I may have more troubles, but right now I don't even know where it is...

Thanks,
Mike

I think the part you're looking for is #14 which is located in the wheel well. Hope this helps.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
No, #14 is the speed sensor. Mike and I are looking for the relay, like the headlight relay, DRL relay, fuel pump relay, etc. - it's the electrically-actuated switch that actually turns on the device in question.

The Bentley is no help. The wiring diagrams are blank in the section where it says "Relay location on the thirteenfold/eightfold auxiliary relay panel, above/behind relay panel:"

The wiring diagram refers to the relay as J107, but I don't think this is the number actually printed on the top of the relay.

In the "Component Location Table", it lists
ABS Solenoid Valve Relay - J106 - all - in auxilliary relay panel

So it's definitely in the relay panel under the lower dash on the driver's side, but I can't find which $#%$&*%*& relay it is.

One option is go to the dealer, look at the part, then get under the dash and find the relay that looks the same.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Rich P said:
BTW, a quick look at the wiring diagrams makes me think the ABS relay J106 is not in the relay panel but within the ABS control module.

Later...
Ahah! That would explain it. Except that the "Component Location" chart says it's in the relay panel... argh...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts