Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I post this, today marks the Autumn Equinox, which means summer has come and gone. The US 2020 Passat was supposed to arrive in showrooms in the summer of 2019. Even the folks at VW.com can't give me an answer.More importantly, I sometimes feel as though I'm one of very few that even cares. On one Passat-related FB group I belong to, the person that created it even said something along these lines: " The American Passat is garbage compared to what Europeans get," and yet....a 2020 model that appeared at the Detroit Auto Show back in January appears as this group's cover photo! A bit hypocritical, to say the least, in light of this guy's attitude..
At 60 years of age, I'm not a computer whiz and navigating my way around social media isn't something I grew up knowing how to do, but needless to say, now that I've figured out how to leave this group, I will, but not before telling them why.

But now, back to the 2020 US Passat, or if you prefer, NMS II:

I'm the first to realize that Passats aren't VWs that get much love, especially on this side of the Pond. When I go to VW shows, I'm lucky to see 3 Passats of any generation, including Dashers and Quantums, show up. Instead, on the water-cooled side, you'll see GTIs, Jetta GLIs, Golf Rs, and old Rabbits, Sciroccos, and Corrados. However, Passat groups do exist such as this one and others on Facebook. Thus, the question I have is this: Why do so few seem to care anything about the upcoming 2020? It's as if the B5s have become the water-cooled equivalent of the Type 1 Beetles and that nobody cares about Passats made after 2005.

In case nobody knew, the Passat is not only the 10th-bestselling car of all time, but also the TOP-selling family sedan on the planet. I know. With all the Camrys, Accords, Altimas, Sonatas, etc, you'd never know that if you happen to live in the US, but still.....the apathy among what few Passat discussion forums that do exist here in the States is puzzling. The 2019 models aren't selling worth a damn and the 2020 can't come soon enough IMO. It may not make a difference in 10 years or so if VW goes all-electric as they plan, unless by some miracle the Vizzion Concept is badged as a Passat, but either way, the prices of EVs are going to have to come WAY down before I'll ever be interested in one. This is the same reason I won't buy an Arteon, which is said to be a lot closer to what the Europeans get as a Passat, but my thinking is : Why pay $40,000-$50,000 for an Arteon when I can get a Passat in the mid-$20Ks? I'll give up 2 forward speeds and settle for an 8-year-old platform to save that kind of money any day.

I'm hoping there are others who are like-minded, but I have to wonder about that........

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
People in general seem to have left forums like VWvortex and Passatworld and migrated onto Facebook groups.
A sign of the times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts