Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
The letter "E" in the first half of your VIN stands for Emden, Germany. That's where it was produced. Assuming you have a B5/5.5 at least.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
If you have a north american Passat, it should have been built in Emden IIRC.

Others could be Mosel/Zwickau or Slovakia

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a north american Passat, it should have been built in Emden IIRC.

Others could be Mosel/Zwickau or Slovakia
I'm pretty sure that my '01 US model came from Mosel, but I'll have to check again. I think that all the US models I've seen come from Emden or Mosel/Zwickau. Funny bit of trivia is that the Mosel plant is near the site where Trabants were built from the 1950s through 1991.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
Guess i'm not remembering correctly then... I wonder if it's a b5 to 5.5 thing. Anydody with a b5.5 Mosel build?

·
Registered
6 Posts
strange bit of trivia this is as no one mentions Wolfsburg which is the biggest factory in germany, are there no passats built here????

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
nope

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Mine was made in Emden as well, I've seen that most 2001's were made in Mosel. :b5:Girl had a 2001 one that was made in Mosel and she said it was nothing but problems, must be a Mosel thing. :crazy:

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
BTW, I remember seeing a link that would translate your VIN completely, ie. month/year of production, trim level designation, place of production, etc.

Anyone know that link?

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
I have no clue why, but when I read the title of this thread I had visions of something like the Willy Wonka Factory, and the Ooompa Looompa song playing in my head, that sure would explain a lot...

:lol:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
98 and 01.5, both Emden.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105660

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emcc/automotivemap/volkswagen.htm

strange bit of trivia this is as no one mentions Wolfsburg which is the biggest factory in germany, are there no passats built here????
Currently being built at Wolfsburg

Golf Mk6 Golf Plus, Touran, Tiguan

Formerly built at Wolfsburg

Beetle, Type 2 (T3) ,Type 4, 181 Iltis, Karmann Ghia, K70, Lupo, Golf Mk4 (wagon only), Vento & Golf Mk5

SEAT Arosa

Audi 50

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,755 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts