Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It is the tank with the green cap towards the driverside front of the engine bay. If I find a pic of my engine somewhere I will point it out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
isn't the tranny sealed? so there wouldn't be a fill hole... i could be wrong. The green cap is for power steering fluid in the front drivers side.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wow... whoops... I am totally retarded today... :oops:

Disreguard my post Jack Cash, Vincheung is correct, the transmission is a sealed system. The only way to get at it is from under the car. :crazy:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
NO it is NOT the green cap.

There is no "above-ground" way to fill or check the tranny fluid. There is a special hole in the bottom of the tranny pan (drain plug in middle of pan, fill/check hole in recessed area at rear of pan) through which you fill the tranny, either by a pump or gravity feed. I use a small hand pump from NAPA.

There's a good writeup of tranny fluid check/change in the Info forum.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
not trying to be a prick, but if you don't know where the fill/check plug is or how to look then you don't need to be messing with it.

to do it correctly you need a VagCom or some instrument that you can measure the temperature of the transmission oil as it is heating up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Guys`

yea I know the green isn't the tranny, I rebuilt this car from what was leftover of a front end colission, I am used to volvos where there is a dip stick for the tranny that dubbles as a fill line, anyhow hey thanks, I was looking at the drain plug but thought that VW might be clever and put a fill hole half way up the side of the tranny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts