Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alpine Navi system to install into my 2000 1.8T Estate (Wagon) - my previous Passat (B4) had enough space under the passenger seat to mount it - looking at my 1.8T there seems to be less space due to a redesign of the seat mounting...

Can anyone throw any light on this? I guess there's always the boot but I'm using the side pockets for CD changers and don't really want to drill holes into the back seat...

BTW the unit is a hideaway box about the same size as a CD changer, and ideally needs to be mounted flat...

Anyone?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi B,

I am doing pretty much the same thing to my Variant (B5.5) and have found the same issues you have. What I am doing (And I believe its the same in your car) is that I am utilising the Hazard Triangle Storage area and cutting into the face of that to lay the Nav unit flat so that the front of the unit sticks out about an inch or two. I am utilising the space above it for my CD changer and also my DVD player. Go ahead and look at it carefully and I think you will find its definitely possible.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, you HAVE TO mount it horizontally, it will not function vertically. Even with the area under the seat, I'm sure it can be mounted under there wiith a little work. As a last option I would do the stock changer mount.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iconnx:

Yes, I looked at that, I was trying not to have to cut the interior though... The car already has a Sony system with the CD changer in the boot space on the opposite side to the triangle store (the first-aid box) so I was going to simply swap the Sony for my Alpine changer and configure it for vertical mount... There's room for the navi there too but not mounted horizontally! Would appreciate some pics once you have it finished!

quality_sound:

I thought that was the case... I think I might try and put it under my seat (which is less likely to be moved by a passenger in the other seat) so should be workable. I guess it's that or I start cutting the boot space!

David

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I saw you have a Sony HU and changer, a Sony HU WILL NOT work with an Alpine changer Yes the plugs are the same, but the protocols and what they use each wire in the cable for is different AND Sony runs the audio in a separate RCA cable, Alpine doesn't. You can use an FM modulator to get a Sony HU to work with an Alpine changer but why make your cds sound like FM?

I would defintely look at putting the navi unit under your seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, my post was ambiguous... I have an Alpine HU and changer to replace the entire Sony system - I was simply saying that the location for the changer was already decided!

Thanks anyway - I'm 99% certain I can get the navi under my seat...

~David~ 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quality_sound / Paul,

I've been thinking... does what you say mean I can use the existing Sony cable to link my Alpine HU to the Alpine changer? (It's an AI-NET one if that matters)

Would save time not having to remove and replace all the trim panels again... I'd then have a double RCA cable spare for a PS2 connection...

Hmmm! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, you can use the Sony Uni-Link cable with your Alpine setup. The cables are EXACTLY the same internally. The only difference is the color and what signals each company chooses to send through them. Alpine runs audio through the Ai-Net cable and Sony chooses to run audio in RCA cables separate from the Uni0Link cable. Don'tcha love it when an upgrade is easy. You could pull the RCAs to the changer out since you won't need them now or you could leave them in place for an amp upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Paul, I'm half-planning to put a PS2 in the boot anyway, so the RCA cables might be useful...

That said, I'm still going to have to run remote eye cables and controller cables but at the moment it's a bonus to have a plug-and-play upgrade!

Cheers

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts