Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've contacted NAPA and other auto stores and they don't carry this grade. Where can I buy this grade rather than the dealer who charges $6.99 a quart? :b5:

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
orlangba said:
I've contacted NAPA and other auto stores and they don't carry this grade. Where can I buy this grade rather than the dealer who charges $6.99 a quart? :b5:
I've submitted the following request to Castrol, via their website. When I get an answer, I'll post here.

I am a member of Clubb5.com, a VW Passat enthusiast group. Our 1.8T egnines specify 5w-40 oil. What retailer readily can supply this grade for us, on a national basis? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I am sure you are awared of the other options Valvoline Synpower from NAPA. But I just noticed Mobil M1 5W-40 stocked at my local Wally World over the weekend.

Sorry for OT, but anyone know about this M1 grade ?

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Okay, I just got the following reply from Castrol, in reference to my request that I sent to them on June !:

"If you are looking for a National Distributor of this product, Castrol
would recommend an on-line distributor of our Motorcycle products called
proformance motorsports. Proformance recently began carrying some of
our automotive line of products including the Castrol SYNTEC 5W-40
grade. Please visit their website at www.proformanceusa.com

Thank you for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!

Consumer Relations
Castrol North America
1-800-462-0835
[email protected]

I checked their prices at Proformance: $7:15/Qt, presumably plus shipping. You could buy the European brands for that price. I'm a bit disappointed that they're not stocking through any of the national chains like NAPA, Advance or Auto Zone.

I recently sent an e-mail to Valvoline requesting that they update their website to show the latest improvements to their 5w-40 Synpower. It now meets ACEA A3/A4/B4, ILSAC GF-3, and API SL, according to changes on the product label and box stickers. Looks like I'm stickin' with Valvoline at $4.29/Qt from NAPA, at 60% of the price!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Right, you can buy Motul 5W-40 Group IV synthetic for less, and skip doing business with Castrol entirely. I noticed last night Impex was advertising 5 quart jugs of some sort of Motul for $27, don't know if it's the X-Cess 5W-40 but its worth a look.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I just noticed Mobil M1 5W-40 stocked at my local Wally World over the weekend.
Not 0W-40 or 5W-30??? And if it is...how much? I buy Valvoline synpower 5W-40 for about $4.59/quart. I am happy with it...but for the year I've been using it, how the hell would I know if its good, other than just bowing to it cause it meets VW specs.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Also with Castrol, you need to get the Belgian made 5W-40 grade in order for it to be a Group 4 synth. Otherwise, that same Syntec grade made in the USA is a Group 3 - at that price I would stick to my Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 Group 3 that I am using now with no problems at all.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa, so you asked for Part# 966 and they couldn't get it shipped to your local NAPA? May I ask which location did you visit?

You can always buy Pentosynth or LubroMolly 5W-40 engine oil which meets VW 502/505 specification online from vendors like ECSTuning.com, AutobahnFluids.com, GermanAutoParts.com.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Here is something to think about Castrol snytec comes in a 5-50w if you do alot of hard driving the heavier oil keep the valve quieter when you are running in the high rev. OE spec is good for a baseline even the bently manual recommend different weight oils depending on climate conditions. The average oil weight does not get higher than 50w anyway so once you maintain as close to the lower range you should be fine. The only draw back from the thicker oil to your engine is fuel economy the lighter weight oil will produce less drag in the engine the added protection of the heavier oil will only hit you in the mpg's the valver will love you for it. So stop stressing on finding the exact same oil weight range. 5-50w will be just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.