Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. i want to find a suspension for my 2004 1.8T sedan, i have 19" wheels in the summer, i want it lowered 1.5" to 2" in the summer but back to normal in the winter and i want to keep the most confortable ride possible.....what suspension do you suggest and where should i buy?

2. i want to find some brakes for the same car, i would like some slotted or drilled discs and some low dust brake pads, what should i get and where should i get it

please help
Max

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I would suggest coilovers for your suspension. That will allow you to lower or raise it as you wish. There are many brands and if I had some on my car I might know a bit more on which brands are a good deal and so on. Someone soon will chime in on that topic soon enough.

Brakes: I think drilled or slotted make a good choice for an upgrade. I guess I would suggest slotted more so than drilled but it's really a personal preferance than anything else. I'm assuming you aren't racing?
Check out these:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189910
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143588

Personally I would go with Import Replacement Parts and stick with a proven name brand like Brembo. Let's say that somethings are worth the extra money for a "Name Brand" item.

Pads: I went with something for everyday use. I don't need ceramic racing pads but I wanted something better than stock that gave low dust. I ended up going with the Axxis PBR Deluxe plus pads. Great pad and very low dust. http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190277

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
For brakes i would go with exactly what was posted above: Slotted Brembos and Axxis Deluxe :thumbup:

For suspension i would do coils as well. This will allow you to slam it in the summer, then raise it again in the winter. Since you are looking for a comfortable ride you want something with height and rebound adjustability. I would go with a set of the KW V2s personally :thumbup:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you suggest to only change the coils and keep the original VW shocks!!!
for the shocks is there differents heights? or how does it work to get a 2" drop???

tks for the rest of the info

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
locomotion said:
so you suggest to only change the coils and keep the original VW shocks!!!
for the shocks is there differents heights? or how does it work to get a 2" drop???

tks for the rest of the info
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... :) Locomotion, you do understand that coilovers replace both the shocks and springs in your suspension? The advantage of using coilovers is they allow you to make both height and ride adjustments to your suspension. There's various coilover setups on the market, but it sounds like you require a 2-Way Adjustable setup. I would have to recommend going with either KW Suspensions Variant 2 coilovers or Bilstein PSS9's. Both of these recommended setups will allow you to adjust from a 1" to 2" drop while maintaining close to stock ride stiffness.

Honestly, I think it's a real PITA to switch your ride heights twice a year. Hell, it's a PITA to do it between track events with our cars. Have you considered a setup with a slight to moderate drop such as VW's 1BE spec. suspension or H&R's OE Sports springs with a good set of replacement shocks? The 1BE and OE Sports don't give you a 2" drop, but it would look very tight with a set of 19" wheels for summertime pimpin' and allow you to get through a light-to-moderate winter. Check with HPA Motorsports in Canada for prices on KW Suspension components, and I'm sure they will answer your questions about a setup that fits your needs.

Think about it... I'm sure others will chime in!!

Now about your brakes, I would have to agree with Rollininstyle2004 and recommend going with slotted Brembo rotors all the way around with a set of PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus or Metal Masters/XBG compound pads. I don't recommend cross-drilled rotors for a daily driver because they tend to lead to uneven pad wear and in most cases will crack at the drill points. Import Replacement Parts Company is a great source for both pads and rotors, so give them a shout.

Good luck, and I hope this helps..

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
^^

it is NOT easy to change your height; expect a day in the garage doing some serious wrenching to adjust if you know what you are doing and have the tools.

If you want something to adjust quickly, look for an air adjustable or a step-motor adjustable. I am not certain that either are available for our cars, but Stasis makes air adjustable systems for Audi (see goapr.com) and Tien makes some adjustable units using stepper motors. I dont know anything about the Tiens, but as I understand it, they are height adjustable at the touch of a button as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Swami said:
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... :) Locomotion, you do understand that coilovers replace both the shocks and springs in your suspension? The advantage of using coilovers is they allow you to make both height and ride adjustments to your suspension. There's various coilover setups on the market, but it sounds like you require a 2-Way Adjustable setup. I would have to recommend going with either KW Suspensions Variant 2 coilovers or Bilstein PSS9's. Both of these recommended setups will allow you to adjust from a 1" to 2" drop while maintaining close to stock ride stiffness.

Honestly, I think it's a real PITA to switch your ride heights twice a year. Hell, it's a PITA to do it between track events with our cars. Have you considered a setup with a slight to moderate drop such as VW's 1BE spec. suspension or H&R's OE Sports springs with a good set of replacement shocks? The 1BE and OE Sports don't give you a 2" drop, but it would look very tight with a set of 19" wheels for summertime pimpin' and allow you to get through a light-to-moderate winter. Check with HPA Motorsports in Canada for prices on KW Suspension components, and I'm sure they will answer your questions about a setup that fits your needs.

Think about it... I'm sure others will chime in!!

Now about your brakes, I would have to agree with Rollininstyle2004 and recommend going with slotted Brembo rotors all the way around with a set of PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus or Metal Masters/XBG compound pads. I don't recommend cross-drilled rotors for a daily driver because they tend to lead to uneven pad wear and in most cases will crack at the drill points. Import Replacement Parts Company is a great source for both pads and rotors, so give them a shout.

Good luck, and I hope this helps..

Will aka The Swami

tks a lot about the info, Will ....it will be very useful
sorry about my lack of knowledge about this stuff, but i am willing to learn as much as possible
any other comments anybody? please add on

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
am i looking for the best prices and usually thats in the USA
so i will ship the stuff to my sister and later pick it up
so please give me USA retaillers

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There are several sellers; I have purchased from www.shox.com and was happy. I also know Tirerack.com has suspension, as do ecstuning.com, greedspeed.com, newdimensions.com, goapr.com etc... there are probably hundreds.

If I were doing my first set, I would visit the marketplace forums and get a screaming deal on some dampres from sklass on his threads. He has access to bilstiens and koni's for shocks and neuspeed for springs. you wont have height adjustment (unless you get the grooved bilstiens, but its only on the front and very difficult to adjust). I would also watch the classifieds; especially for springs. They are pretty bulletproof and, except for some scratches, used springs are as good as new ones.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
if you're not going to change your height, then just go with springs.

You can save a lot of money checking out the group buy forum. Neuspeed springs for $155.
Bilstein sport struts $364 ('98 to '99) and $378 ('00 to '05) a set!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts