Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i step on the pedal and then quickly let off it makes like a metal ( sort of sounds like a heat shield but not sure ) spinning noise, i am thinking something is wrong with the turbo but it still boosts good and still can hear the whistle when you accelerate hard. i also still got lots of "go" when i push hard, so i am not sure if the turbo is going bad or what ?

not to mention that this is the ORIGINAL turbo and the car has 370k~

if the turbo goes bad how much is it to get either a rebuilt one, or from a parts car usually ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Does it sound like the noise the Six Million Dollar Man made when he was doing his bionic thing..?? [testing your age here]

If you are getting a metallic chattering noise, then it's your DV that needs replacing....cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its a chattering noise, sounds like when the turbo spools down after you rev it and makes a metallic noise

weird though because it doesnt happen under any other conditions

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
something like the waste gate chatter but more metallicy ( not a word i know )

is it something major ? and is it easy/cheap to fix?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have a camera atm but i will later this week, is it easily fixable if it is waste gate chatter and can i still drive my car ?

does not sound like compressor surge

now that i thought about it, it sort of sounds like if someone had a fan and spun it against something aluminum but its really quick when you let off the throttle at higher RPMS not regular driving

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
At this point, no one knows for sure what it is. If you're lucky, it's just a heat shield vibrating against something. Have you checked the fan? Listen to the engine with the hood up and see if you can pinpoint the noise. Could also be any one of the belt tensioners or rollers, cam chain or cam tensioner.

Waste gate chatter (in my case) was the beginning of the end for my turbo. It started off with just the noise, then slowly over time my boost diminished. You can see in my above link how I put a "band-aid" on the problem and got some boost back. The eventual fix was a replacement turbocharger.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
I'm on my second turbo and am currently at 300500k. My first turbo's wastegate was melted but you couldn't tell it was melted from looking at it from the outside. I had to unbolt the cat off and pull it down to see that the flap on the wastegate was burned off and melted. It was making a similar noise to the one your describing. Once I installed a new turbo, the noise was gone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much do stock replacement turbos go for ? used or new ? best options if it is that ? it just had a timing belt done not even 500 ~ kms ago by P/O

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i am taking it to a Vw mechanic monday ( not a dealer lol ) and see what they say.

Edit: a cam chain adjuster would make noise even at idle when the car is just running and not moving. it does not make noise when sitting or under regular driving conditions, only when you really and i mean REALLY step on it and let go. EX: In a parking lot, step on the gas with the clutch in and rev it to 3000, then let go quickly, it will make that noise. but if you let the gas down gently it wont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts