Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did you start using the internet?

I first started in 1996. I don't remember much but I had AOL and they had a web browser which was extremely slow. I think I had an external 14.4 kb modem, something to that effect. SO i guess I can say I was a first generation internet user. I didn't use AOL much for browsing at that time but used it to do alot of chatting. Its amazing how far we have come

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
1986-1987 when I was in college using a digital Vax system. It was all text based on campus but we had e-mail, (and yes spam) chat rooms, news groups, instant messaging, etc. from one campus to another mainly but you could find sites that weren't college based if you looked. Most people had no idea what it was, how to use it, etc. - they just knew that had a student e-mail account and more than likely barely used that. I used to chat with my H.S. buddies who went to schools in all different places.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Hard to remember, but I think it was telnet, ftp, and "electronic mail", along with prodigy (or did I use compuserve) in 1993.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I first used the internet back in the late I belive 1990 or 1991. We had a PC, and with it we signe dup for Prodigy Online Service, granted it wasn't the true internet.

I first got onto the true internet around 1994. Wow, it's been 10 years already!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I initially started using the darpanet and other dialup based networks around 1982 when I was 12 at school. After a year or so of text based networking, I got bored and didn't go near the net again (or touch a computer for anything other than word processing) until around 1994 or 95.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I feel like a dino here. 1982, the company I was working for had access to email (you had to specify the whole path the email would take in the address) and a bunch of newsgroups over a 9600b/s UUCP line - for the whole company! Everything was batched and sending an email could easily take overnight.

We also had access to Telenet (not a typo) where you could connect to remote hosts via X.25 directly if you knew its X.3 address. Fun stuff in its day!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I started with Email, telnet and FTP in 1992 while working for the University of Washington. I built my first web server on a Windows 3.11 machine in May 1994.

Mosaic v .9, and cello were the web browsers of choice... :thumbup: 8)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Summer 1995.

Prior to that lived in a world of BBS's and FidoNet. Starting with a C64 and 300baud modem around 1988/89.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
ralphb said:
1982, the company I was working for had access to email
Wow! I was 7 years old! My GF was 1! Sorry, but i didnt even know the internet existed back then.

I heard about the internet when I was in HS ('90-'93), but didnt really know what it was. We had a computer at home but I hardly used it. Back then, I was more concerned with trying to get my liscence & sneak out with my GF. I usually typed my papers on a good ole fashion typewritter - plus my teachers really didnt require them to be typed nless your handwritting really sucked bad.

In college, we were given email addresses & stuff. My professors even encouraged us to email papers... but I certainly wasn't one of them. I used the computer to type up papers but that was about it. The internet was still pretty foreign to me. We had AOL at home but I had no patience for dial up... plus someone always had to use the phone. It was only when I started working in 1997 that I really got to using it. Some newbie huh?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Had Prodigy back in 92-93 at home at my high school was wired to the hilt so we had full blown net access on NeXT machines. 1 per classroom, a bunch in the labs and library. Email , www, newgroups, telnet, the works.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
my bbs days go back to about '78 or '79 - whenever the trs-80 first came out. I was online at 150 baud, dammit! ;)

email - probably about '81 on the DECsystem-10 and -20.

mid 80's I moved to vax systems and a little bit on pdp-11.

mid to late 80's, I taught classes in email system management (I worked for DEC in those days and it was spread across VAXmail, DECmail and all-in-1 with 'message router' thrown in for store/forward delight).

I finally moved from DECnet to tcp/ip in the early 90's. so that's really 'the internet', for me, I guess.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
newsgroups and email (through the university's servers) in winter of '93
Made extensive use of Pine and Gopher. I remember using a browser for the first time: it was s l o w

·
Registered
318 Posts
Around 1994. I was working at MCI and someone had a dial-in number where you can get a free shell account. I downloaded a news reader and was browsing newsgroups until I found out how to download Mosaic and start surfing!

I did a search on Google and found my first Internet post, HERE!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
BBS in the late 80's. Actual internet use in 91/92... with email and gopher.

I have a friend who for some reason still uses Pine. She checks her email at Cal using that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts