Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on these? Those of you that know, what are the differences between the two?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (uke)

I'm in the same boat. I'm itching for a leather steering wheel and these look like the best courses of action. Both seem to be very high quality products from posts in a previous thread. Main difference is that the Isotta covers the spokes up to the airbag. Right now I'm leaning more towards that.

here's one on the Wheelskins one - http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=19907

There was another but I can't find it for the life of me! Had a lot of pics too! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (B5 SportsWagen)

I had Isotta on my last Passat, 2001.5, loved it and the fact that it also covered the spokes. Was not totally happy with the snaps in the back of the Isotta around the spokes, but I removed those and stiched them so they were flush. The Isotta comes with extra foam already attached to the inside of the cover, not sure about the wheelskins...I believe they are just the leather, no extra padding. They all go on the same way, all seem to have good quality leather...but personally, I am a big fan of Isotta products, only wish more of their products were readily available here in the states.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I have the Wheelskins, and it's only OK... the leather isn't very supple... it's pretty hard in fact. But I don't slip with it, I just wish it was grippier/supple. And of course, it does not cover the spokes.

If I could do it all over again, I'd get the Isotta. But I think the Wheelskins is much cheaper ($30) compared to the Isotta, so that was a big factor for me at the time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (Colin)

I had the AGLA and even though the spokes were covered, the fit was horrible. They were kind enough to refund my money after two attempts. The Isotta is by far my favorite. The padding is perfect and the overall fit and leather quality is so much better. I agree that the snaps on the spokes need to go and that they should be stitched. I also agree that Isotta was more readily available in the states. New Dimensions is doing a pretty good job of meeting the demand though.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I love my Isotta
. I made my decision based on the wheel spokes being covered. The snaps on the back of the spokes are a little bothersome, but you can either sew or superglue the leather flaps down instead of using the snaps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (jimb)

Thanks for all the info guys. You've made my decision pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (jimb)

Jim, how well does glue hold with leather? I'm always scared to start gluing in my car (after a glob made its way down my passenger side front door and onto the cloth insert!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (bfalchuk)

One more
for Isotta, love it!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (B5 SportsWagen)

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but...

The wrinkled leather around those spokes is a comparable look to those thick, baggy support hose you'd see on some old grannie, all crumpled up at her fat ankles. Kinda dumpy looking.

Nice idea Isotta had but poor execution. Just my opinion but I'm glad I didn't get one now for sure.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (D ZIGNER)

The Wheelskins doesn't even try to go up the spoke, which, IMO, makes it look cheap. If the fat look is bothering you, then trim some and thread through your own holes. Too much is better than too little. BTW, there was a GB for the Isotta cover last month, for $36.50 + shipping. Maybe you can get New Dimensions to do it again, but last time there were 100+ buyers that got us that price...so good luck!

BTW: here's rsage's wheel...he did a really nice job sewing.

<![CDATA[The Wheelskins doesn't even try to go up the spoke, which, IMO, makes it look cheap. If the fat look is bothering you, then trim some and thread through your own holes. Too much is better than too little. BTW, there was a GB for the Isotta cover last month, for $36.50 + shipping. Maybe you can get New Dimensions to do it again, but last time there were 100+ buyers that got us that price...so good luck!

BTW: here's rsage's wheel...he did a really nice job sewing.

[Modified by stealthx32, 2:56 AM 11/6/2002]

·
Registered
108 Posts

I had an Isotta wheel cover on my 2002 but after about a month took it off and chucked it. It looked absolutely ridiculous the more I looked at it

·
Registered
476 Posts

I love my Isotta. Feels great and adds a nice leather scent to an otherwise velour clad interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (Firefly6)

How much thicker is the wheel with the Isotta cover? Can someone measure the circumference of their wheel with the Isotta cover? I'm concerned it'll be too fat for my wife's hands (it is her car after all.....).

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (EricB)

I've used Wheelskins on a bunch of cars and like them alot. I much prefer having just one seam at the bottom which i rarely touch, rather than four of them in areas that get used all of the time.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (dkosto99)

I love my Isotta wheel cover though I'm hypothesizing some mods to the flaps behind the spokes to get the more flush to the wheel. They brush ever so slightly as I turn the wheel hand over hand like a good driver should. At 10 and 2 though, they're out of the way.

Overall diameter of the wheel itself didn't grow that much, maybe 2mm overall. The diameter of the grip grew nicely since there's a good 1mm extra all around. Not to mention the tactile feel of the leather. It gave me just what I was looking for: a better feeling wheel.

Install pics here, start to finish: http://community.webshots.com/user/scotaku

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (Scotaku)

The diameter is definitely slightly bigger as there's a bit of padding, and it feels a little thicker, but it honestly just feels SO right...this is the perfect set up.

Scotaku, what are your thoughts for the spokes? I've heard crazy glue (gel), hot glue gun, cut down and sew, cut them off, etc.

I'm definitely apprehensive about cutting them off, and about gluing as you could very likely ruin it. Gluing would be so much easier, but I dunno. Sounds like the thing to do is lay the seat down, lie down with your head under the wheel, cut the leather just behind the buttons, then sew together as best as possible...it's gonna suck!

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts. This is the only flaw on an otherwise perfect product.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: Wheelskins v. Isotta (Scotaku)

I don't think Isotta (or wheelskins, maybe) took into account that the steering wheel thickness is not the same across all B5s.

I know this is not my imagination: I drove a 2001 and the first thing I said was "is this an aftermarket wheel?" I got back into my 98, and the wheel seemed about 10% thicker. My Isotta seems to be unnaturally stretched over the spokes, which reinforces that.

Overall, I'm neutral on the purchase. I like it, but I wouldn't do it again. I need to devise a way to tighten up the flaps...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts