Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
RL331 said:
Yes B5 wheels are 45mm and B5.5 non-W8 are 37mm and W8 are 45mm so they are interchangeable.
:???:

am confused; which are interchangeable the 45==>45 or the 45==>37

Let say the b5 45 wheel will fit on b5.5 1.8T GLS 37mm???

by the way thx for fast reply :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
They are all interchangeable without any problems if that is what you want. The B5.5 wheels come with both 45mm offsets and 37mm offsets.

The thing you want to keep in mind is the higher the offset, the more IN the wheels will look, not so nice if the wheels are not wide enough. I am running 45mm wheels on my 03 GLS but my with is 7.5", some people run 8" and it is ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
RL331 said:
They are all interchangeable without any problems if that is what you want. The B5.5 wheels come with both 45mm offsets and 37mm offsets.

The thing you want to keep in mind is the higher the offset, the more IN the wheels will look, not so nice if the wheels are not wide enough. I am running 45mm wheels on my 03 GLS but my with is 7.5", some people run 8" and it is ok.

Now You're talking, thx again for super fast reply, appreciated,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ziploc said:
RL331 said:

Now You're talking, thx again for super fast reply, appreciated,
-ima bit confused--just bought this setup:
- replica rs6 rims -18 x 8.5 with 30 mm offset-from AAA rims
-goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3's-225/40/18-from AAA rims(packaged with rims)
-neuspeed sport springs-from the GB
-neuspeed adj bilstein sports-from the GB

- i want the rims to be flush with the fenders(not stick out) and obviously dont want the tires to rub---what do I need to get this?---i have an 01.5 b5.5

·
Registered
178 Posts
This looks like a good place to put this:

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Topics included in this page:

How to Measure Bolt Patterns
How to Measure Wheel Backspace or Offset
How to Determine Vehicle Fitment
Determine Wheel Caliper Clearance
Typical Lug Nut Torque Specifications
Wheel Terminology
Modular Wheel Inspection and Maintenance
Modular Wheel Leak Detection

Edited to remove a question that should be posted elsewhere and added a good info link.

·
Registered
210 Posts
:thumbdow: :thumbup: :thumbdow: :thumbup:

·
Registered
696 Posts
can someone explain this to me because im a bit confused. did someone say that the b5.5s NEED at least a 37mm offset in order to clear the calipers? my deep dish 18s i think have a 35mm, and i dont remember them not fitting on because of the stock calipers. when i get back to ny im going to toss one on, and try to spin the wheel, for fitment. im all worried now :nervous:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Maybe you could add a bit of lug info to the stuff at the top of this post - are they tapered lugs or not etc... GREAT INFO here though!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Bump....

What does 6J and 7J means on the sticker inside the read door? It is under a column called 'jantes' which means sidewall in French. Don't ask me why the sticker is in french.

195/65 R15 91H - 6J
205/60 R15 91H - 7J

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
tyler2u said:
The hub centric ring fills in the space around the hub so the wheel is properly centered. Once the wheel is mounted and torqued, the ring serves no purpose--it's just there for centering during the mounting process.
This is not true. You NEED the rings there all the time. THEY are the primary load carrier. The lugs alone will not position / hold the wheel sufficiently, and you get a 'variable' balance problem... hit a bump, off center/unbalanced, hit another, not so bad, hit another, off again, and so on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
julianfang said:
The lug pattern is 5x112 on B5's and B5.5's. Jetta, Golf, Touareg and BMW wheels will not fit on a Passat.
ONLY 5X112 PATTERNS WILL FIT THE PASSAT

Would anyone happen to know if the NEW Jetta wheels will fit our Passats??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Centric ~ Piloted

tyler2u said:
Many wheels are hub centric which means the inside of the wheel fits over the hub by a small amount. This way, the wheel is perfectly centered in relation to the hub and wheel bearings. Some folks want to use a wheel that has a larger hub opening than the hub on their vehicle. The hub centric ring fills in the space around the hub so the wheel is properly centered. Once the wheel is mounted and torqued, the ring serves no purpose--it's just there for centering during the mounting process.

On a lug centric wheel, the mounting point of the wheel sits against the hub and you are relying on the lug bolts/studs to center the wheel. Potential for a couple of milimeters off center mounting. Most of the time not a good way to go as it can cause vibration problems.
If you look at this in a Class 8 Big-Rig Classifacation..... I believe it to be easier to explain that wheels are indeed "hub-centric"; Just re-label it as "hub-piloted" . A Hub-Pilot'd wheel rests on little "nubs" on the hub that keep the wheel perfectly centered......"centric"...
Speed Safely !

·
Registered
752 Posts
The comments above about if you ADD spacers to the wheels........ the offsets get smaller makes no sense to me. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know (but can't find) there is a website that shows the stock wheels that are standard and optional for all passats. I believe it is a German site. Putting that at the top of the post might not be a bad idea either for reference use.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts