Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little primer on wheels, tires, and your passat. Not the end all of wheel information, but it should help you get started.

What is the Passat bolt pattern?- The lug pattern is 5x112 on B5's and B5.5's. Jetta, Golf, Touareg and BMW wheels will not fit on a Passat.
ONLY 5X112 PATTERNS WILL FIT THE PASSAT

What is an offset?
- Tirerack's Offset guide

What is the standard offset of most OEM wheels?
- B5 = 45mm
- B5.5 = 37mm
- W8 B5.5 = 45mm (I believe for the Atlanta wheels as well but definitely the Madras).

What should I set my tire pressure at?
- Follow the manufacturer's ratings on the sidewalls.

bonthron said:
most sidewalls actually only list the maximum air pressure. The best all around setting is what is listed on the sticker on the inside of your gas tank filler door.

Some folks also say that adding 2 psi for every inch of wheel diameter you increase from stock. I would agree that this is a good guideline but not a rule to follow strictly. Depending on the shape of the tire profile, the stiffness of the sidewall, the general operating temperatures, the roads you generally drive on and the style of driving you do, you may want to increase or decrease the pressures accordingly.
What is the correct lug bolt torque?
- 89 lb/ft

What are the recommended tire sizes for for the following wheels? (alternative tire sizes may be used, these are just the typical numbers)

15: 195/65-15
16: 205/55-16
17x7.5: 225/45-17
17x8: 225/45-17
18x8: 225/40-18
18x8.5: 225/40-18 or 235/40-18
19x8.5: 235/35-19 or 245/35-19

I would like to get VW centercaps for my wheels, what do I do?
~55mm OE VW center cap part number: 6N0 601 171/BXF
~62mm OE VW center cap part number: 7D0 601 165
~70mm BBS Madra centercaps can fit over other BBS wheels: 3B7 601 171/BXF
You can order them from most VW dealerships.

My buddy has a cool set of XXXX wheels, will they fit on my Passat?
If they are 5x112 then yes. If they are 5x114.5; (Honda/Acura) you will have to fill and re-drill the wheel, but it can be done.
If they are 5x120 there is an adapter that H&R makes, but you may also have to fill and re-drill the lug holes.
Don’t cut corners doing this right. Take the wheels to a reputable shop with a lot of experience. You don’t want
To be rolling down the road and your wheels break free from the bolts! (Whoops!)

Where can you find the factory alloy locking lugnut key?
- Should be located in the pouch with the emergency jack.
It is in a perforated pouch WITHIN a pouch. Tricky to find.
- If yours is gone VW dealerships have a “master set” you might be able
To use in a pinch, but typically the key sells for about 35 dollars @ said dealerships

What size Wheel Spacers can I fit on my car?
- It depends on your wheels and offset, seriously. You’ll probably need to take some measurements
- Before you buy; but since “rubbing” generally isn’t a problem in the
Rear, up to 20mm has been mounted without any problems. For the fronts, 5mm is fairly conservative, although
Many folks have gone up to 8mm without issue.

If you have additional information that you'd like to add, add it to this thread and I'll incorporate it into this post.

·
Registered
679 Posts
julianfang said:
What should I set my tire pressure at?
- Follow the manufacturer's ratings on the sidewalls.
Great general primer but I believe that most sidewalls actually only list the maximum air pressure. The best all around setting is what is listed on the sticker on the inside of your gas tank filler door.

Some folks also say that adding 2 psi for every inch of wheel diameter you increase from stock. I would agree that this is a good guideline but not a rule to follow strictly. Depending on the shape of the tire profile, the stiffness of the sidewall, the general operating temperatures, the roads you generally drive on and the style of driving you do, you may want to increase or decrease the pressures accordingly.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
you should also mention that by adding a spacer your lower the offset, many people think that if you ad a 10mm spacer to a 35mm wheel it become 45mm, when your really supposed to subtract, not ad, so in terms it actually becomes 25mm offset.

also people have a misconcetions the b5, has a 45 offset and the b5.5s have a 37 offset. Cars dont have offsets. Wheels do. What people mean when they say the above statement is that the b5's stock wheel, the adalaids (sp?), had a 45mm backspacing/offset, and the b5.5's wheels were 37mm.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
One more thing on the offset...if you just have to have those [fill in brand name here] aftermarket wheels and they look like they JUST clear the calipers (whew)...if you've been driving on those brake pads/rotors for some distance or time now PLEASE make sure that the wheels will still have enough clearance when you decide to put NEW rotors and pads on!!!

I learned this the hard way...thankfully not on the Passat! :oops:

/karl

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
IMXTREEM2 said:
In general, would it be better to go with an 18X8 or an 18X8.5 (03 Passat)? I know the latter is a bit more expensive, but I just don't want to run into any problems.

- Rich
anyone got feedback on this question...?

what kinda offset should we be looking at for an 8" rim and an 8.5" rim...?

I like my wheels pushed to the corners, but don't want to worry about rubbing... :weirdo:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many wheels are hub centric which means the inside of the wheel fits over the hub by a small amount. This way, the wheel is perfectly centered in relation to the hub and wheel bearings. Some folks want to use a wheel that has a larger hub opening than the hub on their vehicle. The hub centric ring fills in the space around the hub so the wheel is properly centered. Once the wheel is mounted and torqued, the ring serves no purpose--it's just there for centering during the mounting process.

On a lug centric wheel, the mounting point of the wheel sits against the hub and you are relying on the lug bolts/studs to center the wheel. Potential for a couple of milimeters off center mounting. Most of the time not a good way to go as it can cause vibration problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Noob question,

will b5 wheels fit on a b5.5 :???:

If I understood well the b5 45mm wheels should fit on a b5.5 which needs at least 37mm; am i right or not :?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts