Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy new wheels but I don't want to add any weight. I like the Mille Miglia Chronos but I can't find any information on how much they weigh. Anybody know?

Here is what I'm considering. What do you think? (The last pic isn't in the running - just thought it looked good.)

Mille Miglia Chronos:

OZ Superleggara

ATS DTM Competition

I think this is called the Dub Spinner Bellagio but I'm not sure

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
UPinG said:
I want to buy new wheels but I don't want to add any weight...
If added weight and the gas mileage hits are your concern...then I would go with the Superlegerras...can't go wrong with those...not too crazy about the last wheel choice...just my 2 cents. :suspicio:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SpecialKDog1 said:
...not too crazy about the last wheel choice...just my 2 cents. :suspicio:
My wife had similar feelings about it.

If added weight and the gas mileage hits are your concern...then I would go with the Superlegerras
From the info I've found, the Superleggaras are lighter than most wheels of the same size. I sure like the look of the Mille Miglia though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
alright you've heard enough about the last two choices so I won't go there. But I'll offer my 2 cents on Mille Miglia, they don't like to stay round for long. I've had Mille Miglia MM-11's on my car for a few years. They were warped by the 3rd month driving on them, and they're only 17x8's. I don't like to bad mouth companies, but I would stay away from them and lean towards the OZ's....much better build quality, lighter weight, and they still look killer.....goodluck

·
Registered
790 Posts
You might want to consider Flik TDR's

You might want to consider the Flik TDR's. They come in silver, anthracite, and black, and are similar in looks to the others.

The main perk is that they're light at 15.5lbs, about the same as the OZ Superleggera, and they're like $150/wheel instead of $275/wheel for the OZ. I still like the looks of the OZ a bit better, but I would buy the Flik TDR's due to price.

-Ian

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: You might want to consider Flik TDR's

swett said:
You might want to consider the Flik TDR's.
Do you know of someone who sells them online? I would like to look at it.

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: You might want to consider Flik TDR's

I found them at Edge Racing. The Stilauto SR500 looks very nice too. :beer:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The OZ's are light, but expensive and I don't know if you can get them in 18".... 17" only (?)

The ATS DTM's are nice! They are also fairly light and not too much $$ and they can be had in 18x8 and 18x8.5!!

The Spinners are :puke:

The Chronos look nice but probably a little heavy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First of all, not to hurt any feelings, but the bottom wheel is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Just my 2 cents. If I were you I would go with the top one. Happy shopping

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob'02Turbo said:
First of all, not to hurt any feelings, but the bottom wheel is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Just my 2 cents. If I were you I would go with the top one. Happy shopping
No hurt feelings but I can't believe y'all find the last one so repulsive. I certainly don't think it's the worst. I've seen plenty I couldn't believe were even available for purhcase. Anyway, I think it looks good - wouldn't put it on my car though. :beer:

·
Registered
985 Posts
UPinG said:
Rob'02Turbo said:
No hurt feelings but I can't believe y'all find the last one so repulsive. I certainly don't think it's the worst. I've seen plenty I couldn't believe were even available for purhcase. Anyway, I think it looks good - wouldn't put it on my car though. :beer:
That last one reminds me of wire wheels. Anyone seen a Passat with wire wheels on 'em? Not that I am interested in putting them on my car...

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
One thing about the Flik TDR -- it's only 17x7, and while you can mount the proper 225/45-17 tire onto it, it most likely will bulge quite a bit. You can also mount the following sizes:

- 215/45-17
Okay, but not recommended for daily driving for two reasons: (1) the overall smaller diameter will make your speedometer read a touch faster than actual (above and beyond the error already built into the speedo) and you'll have less sidewall to protect you if you hit a pothole; (2) so far, many of the tires I've looked at have a load rating less than OEM, so your chances of a tire failure under extreme or emergency maneuvering are greater.

- 215/50-17
Also okay, and probably better than 215/45-17 for everyday driving. The larger overall diameter will make your speedo read a little slower than actual (thereby correcting the error built into the speedo), but your acceleration performance might suffer just a tad.

- 205/50-17
Dead-on as far as overall diameter is concerned, but I haven't researched any tires to see what the load ratings are. However, you're back at an OEM-level of tread width (read: narrow).

EDIT: FWIW, I just took a quick look at Tire Rack, and an S-03 in 205/50-17 has the same load rating as the OEM Michelins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts