Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have finally decided to replace the stock Adelaides wheels on my car. The reason why I have not done so already is because as ugly as they look, they are very lite (rumored to be 15.5lb) and coupled with the stock tires have low rolling resistance and swing weight. So here comes the question: Does anyone know the weight of the Tango and Montreal wheels? I would like to know just as a guide to what I should be looking for. I think about 20lb is about the right target, but I would like them lighter if possible. I would like to replace them with 16" wheels and have been looking at some TSW Revo and Edge as well.
For me personally performance always comes as a priority and that's why I am not interested in 17" or bigger. Keeping the weight down on those while trying to avoid the craters on the streets of NYC does not seem worth the hassle.
So I am looking for suggestions on a set of lite yet strong quality wheels and don't mind OEM or used.

Appreciate your help,

Alex

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Well I can tell you that TSW wheels have always been rumored to be much softer then most others.

I'm in the same boat with decreasing the rolling resistance... and weight.

my purposes were mostly for use on the track... which is why I purchased the 17x8.5" SSR competition wheel which weighs a low 15.5 pounds.

problems with light wheels... cheaper light wheels can't stand up to normal road bumps and potholes being softer... even my SSRs have come slightly out of round due to being driven on the mean streets of NYC... (SSR comps happened to have a forged center piece but a outer thats lightweight aluminum)...

you would need to go up with something much more expensive and it would need to be forged in order to have strength and reliability for the streets...

other ways to decrease the rolling weight... get lighter calipers/rotors and driveshafts... um... $$$ :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JR00-VW,

That's why I wanted to check the weight on the stock 16" wheels, just so I have a base for comparison. I don't mind the stock look because I am not looking for any bling-bling :wink: but I want to make sure that it does not affect the performance (negatively) too much. I am woking on a pair of calipers and rotors from an S4 for a very good price, but I think I'll pass on the drive shafts.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Alex:

I seem to recall that Tango's are in the 22 lb range, and Montreal's are in the 16-17 lb range. If you can find them, Borbet Type T's are also quite light at about 18-19 lbs -- I used those for about five months last year.

Don't bother with S4 calipers and rotors -- the calipers will NOT fit on our cars, the spindles are different, so there's no carrier that will mate the caliper to the spindle's mounting holes. Not an OEM or parts-bin part, anyways -- you'll have to have something custom-fabricated. Then there's the weight penalty...

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.