Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Not a good idea with our type of bolts(tighting)...... & that wont loosen any of our bolts either ..... go outside and try to take off 1 of your bolt right now and see if it works ...

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Not a good idea with our type of bolts(tighting)...... & that wont loosen any of our bolts either ..... go outside and try to take off 1 of your bolt right now and see if it works ...
I bet it will take them off, My cousin has a couple of these, one similar to this, and one IR for semi trucks, and his small one took my truck tires off.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
... i would not trust it with my bolts on these VW/Audi's ...
What are you taking about. How are these bolts any different, you just taking them off, no different then how an air gun works, I use my air gun all the time to take my tires off. I still advocate tighten by hand and using a torque wrench

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why you wouldn't trust this or any impact. Some weaker impacts will have a hard time getting lugs off that are overtorqued, but if you use torque sticks or hand torque them then you won't have that problem.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Air gun is in NOOOOO comparison to that cordless thing-a-ma-gig.... ....if that cordless thing was that good then tireshop ALLLLLLL over would have that instead of having an airgun and paying a 220V electric bill to keep the compressor going...:hmmm:
i just dont aprove of it :thumbdown
the type of bolts that the VW/AUDI run need real man power torque

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I ran in the local Jeep club guys used to carry those all the time on the trail in case they broke something or got a flat. They work OK..nothing like air tools though.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Air gun is in NOOOOO comparison to that cordless thing-a-ma-gig.... ....if that cordless thing was that good then tireshop ALLLLLLL over would have that instead of having an airgun and paying a 220V electric bill to keep the compressor going...:hmmm:
i just dont aprove of it :thumbdown
the type of bolts that the VW/AUDI run need real man power torque
You make no since, they take tires off fine, They use the same hammeing internals as are. But no they don't last all day. Also I have taken tractor tires off with those, sure bets doing it by hand, also what is max torque for while 90ftbl, it will bust that loose with out a problem.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
You make no since, they take tires off fine, They use the same hammeing internals as are. But no they don't last all day. Also I have taken tractor tires off with those, sure bets doing it by hand, also what is max torque for while 90ftbl, it will bust that loose with out a problem.
well i want to see if the owner of this thread will try this thing out on his VW/AUDI Bolt and post his reaction to it ......

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
my friend had a Sears Craftman one about 10 years ago and it did 3 out of 4 bolts of a 84 toyota corolla and even when you tighten them they still are loose compared to the way i hand tighten them ,,,,,...
the reason is ive undone mostly every type of car but i have to say that the VW/AUDI are by far the hardest bolt to Break Free....i wouldn't trust that thing at ALL ...... greater chance to strip the hub with that anyways

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've used one of my instructor's cordless impacts and it was fine. I used it on the Passat when I put my winter rims on, and also on other stuff including trucks which had 100+ ft/lbs. It took the lugs off fine, and I used a torque stick to tighten the lugs (82 ft/lbs I think) and it also did that fine. I can't think of a reason why your new impact would be improper on VWs.

You might have durability issues or whatever from it being a cheap gun, but hey that's just cause it didn't cost a lot of money. That doesn't matter whether it's cordless or not.

Cracker, let us know how you like it. I need to buy an impact, and I am thinking about buying cordless.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy shet, what a bunch of pissers some of you are! "Wa, wa, wa, I only use air tools." Well, some off us don't want to F with buying a compressor, hose, and impact. And no it's not because I live in an apartment.
As soon as I received it, I charged the battery for 2 hours, went into my garage, grabbed my floor jack, pumped up the front, and had no problem removing my steel wheel. Then, hand tightened the lug bolts back on, used the variable speed on the gun to lightly retorque, then gave each one a little more love and all was peachy on the way to and from work.
Sure, air tools are sweet, but I own a VW, not a Ford.

PS-I built this '90 Golf G-60 turbo out of a '91 Corrado G-60 5sp and the '90 Golf auto all without any airtools. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts