Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've been on passatworld for a while, but didnt post so much. I always find guys here are very helpful and kind. i can find almost everything i need only by search function, but not for this...

I'm reticently trying to upgrade my brake system to Boxster's for my B5.5. I did the research in last around three weeks. and i believe i've ordered most of the parts i need already.
but there seems only one thing im not sure now.

As the title said, its the offset requirement for my wheels. My wheels are 17x8 with 41mm offset.

I searched here and some other sites, some say i'll be fine with stock 17" wheels, some recommend that i use a 6mm spacer to make it 35mm, and i even saw a post saying i need a 11mm spacer to make it 30mm.
really confused with tons of information on the Internet.

Is there anyone who did the project before can confirm the offset requirement for this project?

· Registered
595 Posts

· Moderate Moderator
16,459 Posts
^^^ What he said.

My 17" Audi Sport rims fit over my Boxter Brake setup with good clearance. My 18" ASA AR1 rims just touch the caliper. With those I use a 3mm spacer and end up with 3mm clearance between the caliper & the spokes of the rim. It's because of the shape and placement of the spokes. The Audi spokes are flushed out towards the edge of the rim. That leaves more room behind the spokes to clear the caliper. The AR1 spokes are set-back a bit which moves them closer to (in contact with) the caliper.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! here is how i understand it from your inputs. normally, wheels need 35mm or lower offset. In reality, some spoke design would help to fit this big brake. if that's the case, i'll try that template!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.