Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might not be the right thread but on my morning commute today I got about 1000 feet from my house before I had to stop because it felt like my right rear wheel was dragging, and i could not drive in a straight line (keep in mind it was cold and very icy), there was something noticeably wrong with my car, so I find another ride for the time being, After i get home I pull the car into the garage (it usually sits outside for the night) and I jack it up, put it in neutral and take the handbrake off, I spin the rear tires and the left one spins and the right does not. I go inside to do something else and an hour later I come back out and I take the right wheel off and then the brake rotor housing spins as it should. I put the wheel back on and it spins. I take the car for a test drive again and its fine. One theory is that there was something frozen, but I was almost positive it had to do with the break pads because I have a waring light that says break pads. I have no idea what to do now, the pads looked ok, I don't have any clue where to go from here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Zack, you likely have a seized piston on your rear caliper. I would order a new caliper from Rock Auto, or where you prefer, and replace both the rears at the same time. It is not too bad of a job. You might have a caliper with the emergency brake lever on the side that connects to the e-brake cable. That lever gets corroded over time, especially in winter conditions, and that might seize prematurely. I just replaced my Passat 2003 rear caliper for $60 and a couple hours to get the old carrier off. Not fun, but got it off. Good luck. What kind of VW are we talking?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts