Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my front right wheel bearings sound like they are starting to go out... is there any long term reprocussions from this or is it just really fucking annoying??
-help

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
no real dangerous long term reprocussions so long as you change it before catastrophic failure. When it does, the wheel might come off the car, and can cause substantial damage, not to mention loss of control of the car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am in a similar situation... but how does one tell that its bad wheel bearings versus some other issue? Is there a way (hopefully easy) to diagnose bad wheel bearings? I have near 80k on my 2001...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have about 100k on it... it makes kind of a rubbing sound like the brakes are rubbing or something! but im not even posotive its the wheel barrings..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if i put it on some jack stands and there is some play on the wheel would that mean that it is the wheel berings... or could it be like a cv joint or somethin??

·
Registered
311 Posts
play in wheel = wheel bearings or tie-rod? I had been told by a mechanic that it means tie-rod...

confused...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i no wheal bearings cost a couple hundred to fix but how much ould the tie rod be to fix if thats the case??

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Wheel bearings can also make a humming noise while cruising, kind of a vibration noise, and you could even feel a vibration. I have bad front wheel bearings, this is what they do. Also, it gets worse at higher speeds, like around 60-70mph. They have caused very uneven tire wear and I'm replacing them before my new tires go on next week. Sometimes front axles/bad CV joints can do similar things, good luck!!

-Cody :thumbup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
If it's humming while driving it's probibly the wheel bearing I just had mine replaced at 86,000 miles and now the steering feels as good as new!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya its making like a humbing/vibrating sound!! so its probobly my wheel baerings i guess...
how much did yours cost to replace??

·
Registered
599 Posts
i just went to get my car looked at bc of a squeaking noise coming from one of the front wheel wells and it ended up being a bad wheel bearing at $278.80, and i also have a bent tie rod. the tie rid with alignment is $368.00 and this is all from a vw dealership.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn... i aint made of money but shitt!!! sounds like im gona have to get my wheel bearings fixed then i guess!!
-peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts