Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I am replacing the wheel bearing and hub on my '02 Passat GLX V6. I ordered a wheel bearing kit and a hub assembly from ECS tuning. There seemed to only be one type so I got these: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-V6_30v/ES1487/.

However, when I get the hub assembly out, it looks like this: File Aug 02, 9 45 06 PM.jpg
In addition to that "slanted" wheel bearing, there is also a slightly skinnier version of the bearing I got from ECS.

Seeing as I am having a hard time procuring parts that match what was on my car, am I right in assuming that the kit I got from ECS tuning is a newer version of the old bearings? Or will I have to continue my search to find matching bearings?

Thank you guys for any help!

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
...need to pull the outer race from the steering knuckle...

If you're replacing both the bearing and the hub, no need to pull the half of the broken bearing off the old hub.

I'm not 100% sure but the V6 bearings may be different from the 1.8t bearings. I always thought the V6 used a larger diameter axle spline but I may be wrong on that. Before pressing the new bearing in, test fit things to be sure you have the right parts for your application.

The bearing will fit into the steering knuckle either way, but is only supposed to go in one way. Be sure you don't install it backwards. The edge of one of the races has a slight bevel edge to it. Check your original bearing to see if that side is supposed to point towards or away from the car.

The bearing fits into the knuckle with a tight "press fit". Before pressing in the new bearing, thoroughly clean the recess. One of mine was corroded and it took a round wire brush on a drill to clean that surface smooth and shiny again. I applied a thin layer of anti-seize to aid in pressing and to protect from future seizing.

Make sure the bearing presses all the way in and bottoms out. You don't want it pressed in a little short of where it's supposed to end up.

Put the bearings in your freezer the night before pressing them in. Being that cold will make them ever-so-slightly smaller and will aid in pressing them in.

I used this kit for pressing out and in... FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters
Make sure you grease the threads of the pressing tool really well or the threads will fail and strip.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
To piggyback on Steve, get an electric impact wrench at Harbor Fruit. It will make quick work of pressing in the new bearings.

The new bearing presses in with the slightly wider inside circumference facing out. If you look at the hub, you will see that it too is stepped a little. Make sure to support the back of the bearing with the correct sized plate when pressing in the hub, or you'll push the bearing apart (ask me how I know).

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'll reiterate one more thing, learned from experience... support the back of the bearing when pressing the hub into it AFTER the bearing is installed into the upright. ALWAYS support the back of the bearing.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
The V6 uses an 82mm dia. bearing. I have no idea if the 1.8's are different or not.
And there is a step on the inside of the bearing. It can be installed both ways BUT ONLY ONE WAY IS CORRECT. The larger dia. step on the inside of the bearing goes to the outside of the steering knuckle.
The step on the inside of the bearing makes contact with the (2) different diameters on the wheel hub.
That is the correct bearing for your car by the way.

Reactions: stianulriksen

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys. I have double checked all part numbers, and the steering knuckle has an 82mm diameter for the bearing.
Awesome detailed info, Steve! I have the bearing adapter set that you linked to. Didn't have a socket large enough for the nut so had to go out and grab that...
Jay, thanks for the tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts