Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my car at the dealer for 4 days. First problem -> oil leaking through the left valve cover gasket and right cam seals. Replaced under warranty at 66 k miles.

Had requested the dealer to do a wheel alignment $70 and no change :mad: . The car still pulls to the left. No printout attached from the wheel alignment machine showing camber and toe. Will have to have the dealer do it again. I am just wondering if they really did anything about it. I checked the tire pressure and it seems okay. Tire's dont have any uneven wear. What should I look at?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem, my b5 has been aligned recently and it pulls right.
I suppose all the rods/arms were checked for free play and brakes for unusual dragging....?

According to Bentley, the rack&pinion must be precisely centered.
If it is not, the hydraulic will tend to center it. It means that your car might be "perfectly" aligned and still pull because its been aligned with an uncentered r&p. If I remember correctly, there is a small aperture underneath the r&p into which you insert a bolt to lock it centered. Then you make the alignment.

Please repost when you have the solution.

mda
Dan

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
TwoLitreVW said:
you might also want to check out the brakes.

maybe a stuck caliper could be the culprit.
One way to tell is compare the temp. of the right vs. the left wheel/hub. If it is stuck, it will be much hotter. Be careful when doing this if you don't have access to an infrared thermometer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks for the info but I recently installed new rotors and pads myself. Did not see any uneven wear between the left and the right wheel pads or rotors.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A normal alignment for these cars only entails toe adjustment. Toe has nothing to do with a pull - it can't cause it, and it can't cure it. You either have uneven caster or camber (probably caster) or you have a tire whose belts have shifted and is now causing "radial pull." To test for the tire theory, swap front tires left-right. If that fixes or reverses the pull, that's the problem. Too bad you didn't get a readout, because if you knew your camber and caster you could correct them by moving the subframe appropriately.

I don't get the point about centering the rack and pinion. Unless the steering wheel has been moved on its splines (which is not even possible on many/most cars because there is one bigger key spline, but I don't know about B5s) then you set toe with the steering wheel straight and it's all done properly.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You could be just getting torque steer. Does it pull harder when you put your foot on the gas? Some cars can have it worse than others. I don't think getting an alignment will fix it. Mine tends to pull right when I gas it, but stays relatively straight when coasting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's only treating the symptom and not fixing the problem, but I've biased the tire pressures on occasion to counteract a slight pull. Whichever side it pulls to, put an extra 2-3 pounds of pressure in that front tire. Sometimes this reduces rolling resistance enough to counter the pull. Do not exceed the max inflation pressure printed on the sidewall.

Like I said, this is only a band-aid, but it can be a solution to annoying pulls that seem impossible to diagnose.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts