Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some new front brakes on my 2003 Passat 1.8T GLS (93,000 miles). A couple of my friends have gone to Midas for brake jobs and told me the offer a lifetime warranty of free brake pad replcement.

I got my rear brakes done about a year ago at a local shop that I get all my other work done. Cost me about $400 for pads and rotors.

Midas quote for pads is $135 and $315 for pads and rotors.

I know Midas is a national chain so I thought I would see what everyone's opinion of them is....any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I would say do it yourself, easy job and would only cost $135 in parts.

On the Midas thing, very subjective. Some are great, some are horrible. I've had both experiences. Unfortunately it will come down word of mouth and other's experience, just like any shop.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
midas sucks a$$. i went there once before i knew better for something much easier than a brake job. first, they waste 45mins of your time doing a full inspection of your car. given it's free, it's not that bad but if you are well aware of the maintenance history of your car, it's totally unnecessary when these idiot mechanics spend 20 minutes trying to figure out the inner workings of your vw.

and then when they do charge you with rates, they go by their book rate which is totally ridiculous b/c the actual time spent on your car isn't even near what they quote.

basically, ure working with idiots who overcharge you.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
In the time it takes you to drive to Midas, you could do your rear breaks. I'd try to do it yourself. I can't stand how bad mechanics make VW repairs out to.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, listen to GreenCar and Christian. Otherwise, find a reputable independent mechanic, rather than a big franchise chain. I concur with 1.8Tttturbo that the training, work ethic, and intelligence of the mechanics and managers at the big franchise chains varies wildly.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I was qouted $390.00 by VW of Ft. Myers FL for rear rotors and pads, so your local shop doesn't sound cheap.
Fronts are easy - I did mine (and rears) using the DIY on here, and Audiworld as I had a V6 4Motion at the time.
Other than basic hand tools, all you'll need are a torque wrench, jack stands, and a brake retraction tool (or C-clamp for the fronts).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not mechanically inclined, but thanks for the advice. I think I will probably just go to the dealer or the local place that did my rear brakes.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
any DIYer members in your neck of the woods that can hely you DIY ...?
if you were in NYC id give you a hand with it cause its Easy as shit //:thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, though I've got no opinion of Midas, really, I did change my back brakes as my first car project in a long, long time, and I'll tell you, if you have the right parts and tools, it takes about as long as changing a tire.

However, I didn't have the proper compression tool (though the nice woman at the auto parts shop insisted that it was the one I needed for a Passat), so it took like, a billion hours it seems like, and a TON of effort. So if you don't want the chance of that, going to your local mechanic sounds best, as the dealer will overcharge you a fortune, too.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
midas sucks a$$. i went there once before i knew better for something much easier than a brake job. first, they waste 45mins of your time doing a full inspection of your car. given it's free, it's not that bad but if you are well aware of the maintenance history of your car, it's totally unnecessary when these idiot mechanics spend 20 minutes trying to figure out the inner workings of your vw.

and then when they do charge you with rates, they go by their book rate which is totally ridiculous b/c the actual time spent on your car isn't even near what they quote.

basically, ure working with idiots who overcharge you.

Also any shop will charge book time/flat rate because they know they will rarely lose money on it and more then likely make money. Look at the Tbelt with water pump. What do they quote that as, close to 6 hours from what I have heard, actually time 3 hours maybe 4 if its the first time the mechanic has done it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Midas suck$!!!! My g/f took her Hyundai there to have the brakes fixed. I had already looked at them and knew what had to be done, a simple R&R of the pads and rotors.....there was no diagnosis, no problem solving, no inspection, etc. needed. I was quoted $230ish over the phone. The day of the repair she called from the shop about an unrelated topic, I asked about the repair and she said "blah, blah, blah.......~$600". I flipped!!! I raced across town, grabbed the work order, looked at it briefly, went to the counter and demanded to speak with the tech (car was on the lift). I asked him to explain the charges and work being done. He began the "low blinker fluid" and "widget A, B and C were shot" song and dance. I explained to him that this was a rotor & pad R&R, that it should take "X" hrs. and the parts should cost "Y" dollars.......where do you get $600?!?!?!? "Umm, well sir, duh, ahhhh, errr, let me go in back and see what I can do"....... Magically the repair ended up around $240! They had upcharged the parts something like 150%+ and were planning to charge her that until I called them out. They contended that OEM replacement Hyundai rotors were roughly the same price as cross-drilled, cadmium plated Brembo rotors for our cars. I THINK NOT!!!!

It's partially my g/f's fault for not listening to me when I said (and I said the words) "the repair will be around $230" so she could have caught the crime before it had chance to happen but the place was crooked! I wouldn't take a go-cart there for work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts