Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who like to show off their system's sound not SPL.
What disk do you use to show the the sound quality of your system?
No BASS disks, no "Boston Acoustic Reference CD-0092" please,
I mean real CD like "Zeppelin 1" or "REM- Monster" or
"Christina Aguilera-Wet Dreams" or whatever...
thanks!
:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks souplogic but I was hoping for non-reference disks. I've done IASCA finals cars and built super systems for Phoenix Gold demo cars between 1994 and 97 and I know all the "car setup" disks. I'm looking to build a collection of disks REAL PEOPLE would actually like to listen to (OK some of the boston disks are actually listenable).

Anyone use "regular" albums from their collections. Dire Straits, Diane Schuur OK, but if you think anyone really wants to hear Nana Mouskouri, well.....

Roger Waters -- Pros and Cons of HitchHiking is a good one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll grap the Peppers' disk (like 'em but don't have it) and download some outkast first to try it out.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I use Dance Supermix '96 It's an old school dance/techno CD, but it hits almost every frequency.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Demo Music

As a former Recording Engineer and Bass Player, here are my Pop-only votes for "real" System tonality characterization, as opposed to purely Sub thumping excess [no 'dis intended]...

1. Digital Domain - "So" Peter Gabriel

Check out Kate Bush's shimmering, multi-tracked vocals on "Don't Give Up" along with Tony Levin's insane Bass content at the end. A heart breaker of a tune that goes Gospel...

2. Analog Domain - "Private Eyes" Tommy Bolin

A '76 mix well ahead of it's time. "Shake The Devil" really stands out. Tommy left us way too soon...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
WagenMeister said:
Thanks, I'll grap the Peppers' disk (like 'em but don't have it) and download some outkast first to try it out.
:thumbup:
the outkast stuff is great for bass. some of it you can feel more than you hear. for instance: "i like the way you feel" and "fish n grits" are two songs that you get really low bass. "B.O.B" has a lot of tite bass in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
WagenMeister said:
Thanks souplogic but I was hoping for non-reference disks. I've done IASCA finals cars and built super systems for Phoenix Gold demo cars between 1994 and 97 and I know all the "car setup" disks. I'm looking to build a collection of disks REAL PEOPLE would actually like to listen to (OK some of the boston disks are actually listenable).

Anyone use "regular" albums from their collections. Dire Straits, Diane Schuur OK, but if you think anyone really wants to hear Nana Mouskouri, well.....

Roger Waters -- Pros and Cons of HitchHiking is a good one.
I posted the whole list for others looking, but there are some real tracks in there like blood sugar sex magic etc. Spyro Gyra aint bad, along with some of the other jazz and if the CATS soundtrack isnt listenable i dont know WHAT is!! :lol:.

But when I first looked at that list I thought there was alot more good music there, sorry to muck up your thread.

·
Registered
547 Posts
speaking of outkast,
SpeakerBox/The love below

On the speakerbox side, the first track "speakerbox" is what i use for bass tests
Or some old TooShort

·
Registered
119 Posts
personally i really like listening for SQ with:

Enya (any cd, although 'Aldebaron' on The Celts is great for lowbass/subbass)

Pinback - (dont remember the name of the CD, but it's their first and only i'm pretty sure)...also,Loro's a good song, and the recording of the whole cd is impeccable... i know a studio engineer that uses the cd to 'test' his sound

Orbital - Diversions or "II" (they've also got a great song called 'Anthem' on the Pi soundtrack that is awesome for testing midbass/lowbass separation)

Stone Temple Pilots - Dead and Bloated (gain on this track is crazy, it about blows my head off)

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (another great quality recording)

that's all i can think of off the top of my head... thx for a great thread, WagenMeister!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really appreciating the input, I hope others are finding this useful too!
itspepper: I'll grab the Enya, I've got a few Clannad disks and enjoy them.
you are right hell freezes over is very clear and "true".

Did some listening to OutKast, now I see why everyone is listening to them. Damn good.

Gonna take an illegal kazaa listen to all the others. I'd like to buy 10 new disks that I don't have but sound great AND are listenable music-wise in the car. I've got 4 so far, gimme more please! :D

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
Jeff Beck - "Who Else!"
Audioslave
Bob Dylan - "Blood on The Tracks"
Robin Trower - "Bridge of Sighs"
Steve Morse - "Split Decision"

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nickel Creek has some great sounding strings and vocals in their albums. Not much bass content, but bluegrass isn't well known for that...

Yes "talk". Great dynamics and low subbass with all kinds of syncopated rhythms.

Rush "Moving Pictures". Great drumming and impact.

Also have to agree on Peter Gabriel's "So". I love "Don't Give Up". Great piece. Probably like that one even more than "Sledgehammer". ;)

-Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff Beck is added to the list, thanks Jay.
I'll check out Nickel Creek as I enjoy bluegrass
(some of Bela Felk's disks bluegrass disks are great) thanks Mark.

Can't tolerate Sheffield test disks. They remind me of when I was so involved in the competition biz that I found flaws in EVERY system I listened to. I started to hate music, my systems were worth considerably more than my cars. AND they still sucked to me because you can always make something better by spending more and tuning more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i like "yello - baby", great bass and sound, the other yello stuff is great too!
cat stevens "tea for the tillerman", the remastered version, fine music, very clear sound.
mary black, the collection (song columbus).
paul simon - graceland

greetings from austria
tom

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The Selena soundtrack
Dire Straights - Money for Nothing
The Great Fantasy Adventure Album
Mariah Carey - Emotions
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Fiona Apple - Tidal