Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The formula for the Body Mass Index is weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared (BMI = kg/m2). Or just look at the following graph. X axis is your weight in pounds of 5 lbs increment and Y axis is your height:

Here's a link to a caculator which you can use:
Click for BMI Calculator

For me... I'm at about 23.5 right now... would like to have a BMI of 25 even which means I need to gain about 10lbs.

To calculate in pounds instead of kilograms:
http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gm=0!gc=22!gid6=5301 said:
Calculating Body Mass Index (BMI)
One's body mass index (BMI) is derived by multiplying a person's weight in pounds by 703 and then dividing by the height in inches, then dividing that number by the height in inches. The steps are as follows:

Multiply one's weight in pounds by 703.
Divide that answer by height in inches.
Divide that answer again by height in inches.
For example, a woman who weighs 150 pounds and is five feet eight inches (or 68 inches) tall has a BMI of 22.8.

*Comments: I should also mention that the BMI formula is not a weightwatchers created function. It is universally used by health experts and nutrionists as a general guideline for gauging healthiness. Your diet and level of activities should also be considered when interpreting your BMI results.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
i'm 22.4 which is right in the middle of healthy weight. I've even read that its better to be on the lower end of the healthy weight range than the upper end - as low as 18 is considered healthy. But don't take my word for it, my source is good but i'm going on memory (maybe it was 19... hehe). ;)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Wow, that calculator isn't really that perfect, but mine is 25.1, borderline, 6' 185lbs. I am in piss poor shape and fat in my book. I would like to be around 170 - 175.

Per the calc they say 20 - 25 is ideal, so being 23.5 is probably fine. However, it is all relative. As I stated above, I fall just outside of their "healthy range," however, I feel far from healthy. I also know people that are hte same height as me, weigh more thna me, but are in perfect shape and eat nothing bad.

I can't really gain any muscle mass right now due to other issues, but if I can finish getting my act together I can shed the fat and get the cardio shizzle going. Hopefully when I beat whatever it is that I have I can get back into finishing up and regaining my physical strength.

However, that is a cool little calc.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
gietl said:
Wow, that calculator isn't really that perfect...
However, that is a cool little calc.
Yeah it's cool. You think maybe the Weight Watchers ranges are a bit biased? If I lost a pound I'd be invisible in profile. It's like asking the IRS to do your taxes for you. I might not trust their motivations... :wink:

I came up as a 23.5. That's ok I guess. I'd like to put some weight on though!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
gietl said:
Wow, that calculator isn't really that perfect, but mine is 25.1, borderline, 6' 185lbs. I am in piss poor shape and fat in my book.
Exactly the same numbers here. I fluctuate between 185 and 190. Would like to get down to 180 and stay there. I guess with a bit of exercise I could get there. Don't do any aside from yard work now. Need to get my fat ass on my mountain bike again.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That thing is definitely not very accurate. I'm in pretty good shape. I run and bike and weigh 180 at 5'10" They don't take into account muscle weight vs. fat weight.

I feel pretty thin.

I would be cadaverous at 125! WTF is that?!?!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coloradob5 said:
That thing is definitely not very accurate. I'm in pretty good shape. I run and bike and weigh 180 at 5'10" They don't take into account muscle weight vs. fat weight.

I feel pretty thin.

I would be cadaverous at 125! WTF is that?!?!
Actually the BMI has I believe been universally used by nutritionists and health experts as a general guideline for determining what's healthy and what's not.

I did some more reading into it and it says that someone with more musle mass from working out will actually fall above the healthy ranges and into the the overweight range but is considered healthy.

Also, someone who has a BMI within the healthy range and doesn't workout but has a fat percentage of 10% to 20% can also be considered healthy because of their weight/height/fat ratio.

For me... I know that once I reach my BMI of 25 which is considered overweight, I'd still be healthy because I exercise and lift weights.

Use the BMI as a supplemental guide to your daily diet and workout activities but not as a ultimate function to determine your overall health.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
42. I'm one unhealthy b5er.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
22.6. Works for me. This got me thinking of all of the things we do for health...

My wife switched us over to green tea for the anti-oxidants. I drink grape juice with my lunch (may be good for the heart). Merlot wine is my choice for dinner out, again for the heart (but I've always been partial to reds). I'd guess that 70% of the food we prepare at home is USDA organic. Meat is basically organic chicken and turkey, with occasional fish - red meat has gotten pretty rare (no pun intended) in my diet.

Maybe it all works: Blood pressure is 118/60, at-rest heart rate is 56. Not bad for a late 1950's model!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Altair 4 said:
22.6. Works for me. This got me thinking of all of the things we do for health...

My wife switched us over to green tea for the anti-oxidants. I drink grape juice with my lunch (may be good for the heart). Merlot wine is my choice for dinner out, again for the heart (but I've always been partial to reds). I'd guess that 70% of the food we prepare at home is USDA organic. Meat is basically organic chicken and turkey, with occasional fish - red meat has gotten pretty rare (no pun intended) in my diet.

Maybe it all works: Blood pressure is 118/60, at-rest heart rate is 56. Not bad for a late 1950's model!
That's interesting. What sources of natural food will provide the required level of anti-oxidants for active athletes that we can add into our diet without taking anti-oxidant supplements like pills?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am a 23.5. Perfectly happy w/ where I am at, looking to lose about 2% more bodyfat. Other than that, I have never had this much endurance, been this strong, or been this healthy.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
OneGuyInCA said:
Altair 4 said:

That's interesting. What sources of natural food will provide the required level of anti-oxidants for active athletes that we can add into our diet without taking anti-oxidant supplements like pills?
Beats me...I just eat and drink whatever is set down in front of me at dinnertime! :lol:

Seriously, I have no idea what level is required or recommended or attained by eating only food sources purported to be rich in anti-oxidants. We just switched over on the little things, which is pretty easy to do. I guess we're hoping for a cummulative effect.

Gotta say, though, the second I'm out of town on a business trip, the first night I'll order a honking big steak, done rare to medium-rare! Luckily, that's not that often.

-Edit- Check this out

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
6 foot 1", 183 and 25 BMI.
Man I am a tub-o. I guess my 8% body fat doesn't mean crap. :wink:

I was only healthy when I was in College. I guess 3% body fat is healthy. :shock:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
BMI is over-simplified IMO. It doesn't take into consideration composition. My BMI is 28.7 (5'11" and 205)... but I have 9% body fat.

You can qualitatively assess someones need to loose weight better than the BMI can just by looking at them. Me I don't need to loose any weight, but according to the BMI I do :roll:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
pass-variant said:
BMI is over-simplified IMO. It doesn't take into consideration composition. My BMI is 28.7 (5'11" and 205)... but I have 9% body fat.

You can qualitatively assess someones need to loose weight better than the BMI can just by looking at them. Me I don't need to loose any weight, but according to the BMI I do :roll:
Of course....dont you know what a perfect example of a human being is.......MODEL.

So until you look like a crackhead....you need to lose weight. :suspicio:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
28 Participants
Sharky
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing