Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I'd think oil companies are praying for gas prices to rise, the people to demand an answer, and for Bush to offer up the Alaska solution. When it gets to the point that people will be so strapped for gas money they will look the other way while Exxon and whoever else gets to rape formerly pristine wilderness, it'll happen.
:roll:

don't forget, Bush was the one who conspired to Kill Kennedy so that he can get to where he is now. Oh, and that whole AREA 51 thing is just another plot to drill oil wells in that area. :crazy:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
veedubyo said:
I'd think oil companies are praying for gas prices to rise, the people to demand an answer, and for Bush to offer up the Alaska solution. When it gets to the point that people will be so strapped for gas money they will look the other way while Exxon and whoever else gets to rape formerly pristine wilderness, it'll happen.
:roll:

don't forget, Bush was the one who conspired to Kill Kennedy so that he can get to where he is now. Oh, and that whole AREA 51 thing is just another plot to drill oil wells in that area. :crazy:
Don't be so flippant-you mean to tell me you don't believe Dubya would try to cram his anti-environment Alaska BS down our throats if gas prices made it a possibility??

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OneGuyInCA said:
These are the reasons why as cited in the paper today:

1 - The switchover from Winter blend to Summer blend requires the refineries to be convereted (downtime)
2- While switching over, they came across problems which slowed production
3- Problems with other refineries are also to blame
4 - With such short supply and higher demand from last year, prices have gone up

You're right... they said gas prices has a potential of reaching $3 a gallon this summer in California. Plus... we probably won't see prices in the mid $1 anymore when prices do slowly come back down. BTW... what part of Sacto?

full story here: http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/v-print/story/8395877p-9325565c.html
I'm in Natomas Park area...I work in midtown for an ad agency. I hope they're wrong about gas prices etc...that is BS in the summer..I aint never drivin anywhere!!! GOD DAMN hands are tied...sucks sooooooooo soooooooooooooooo bad!!!! Looks like 87-89 for the ol passat! :roll:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Sharky, why don't you be a good liberal and help save the environment by not driving your B5 around. Then everyon will see how much it will improve the air quality thus making everyone else give up driving too. it would be a much greener world.
Stop using any electricity too because that would eliminate having to use oil to run the plants. And if your house uses Oil heat then you gotta stop it too. Dont use wood to burn in the fireplace, that would cause more pollution.

If people could just learn to live without all these conviniences then we would help save the destruction of mother earth. :thumbup:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
veedubyo said:
Sharky, why don't you be a good liberal and help save the environment by not driving your B5 around. Then everyon will see how much it will improve the air quality thus making everyone else give up driving too. it would be a much greener world.
Stop using any electricity too because that would eliminate having to use oil to run the plants. And if your house uses Oil heat then you gotta stop it too. Dont use wood to burn in the fireplace, that would cause more pollution.

If people could just learn to live without all these conviniences then we would help save the destruction of mother earth. :thumbup:
Nice sidestep of my very direct question.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
actually, given the (lack) of interest in real conservation, the better solution is to use up as much gas as possible, in the hopes of actually running completely out. It's obvious that nothing is going to happen on alternative fuels until we use up all the gas, so lets just get busy.

which is why I bought a LandBruiser, I get 13 miles to the gallon even at stoplights! :roll: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Forget the impact to your wallet. At $8/gallon their would be major impact to the economy. Figure diesel fuel to be in the neighborhood of $5-7/gallon. Trucking industry would lose their ass or the cost of goods would have to increase to support the additional shipping costs.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
LOL $3 a gallon, my family back home in the UK are paying 90p per Liter.
I figure thats around $5 a gallon.
Anyone care to do the math?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
V6er said:
LOL $3 a gallon, my family back home in the UK are paying 90p per Liter.
I figure thats around $5 a gallon.
Anyone care to do the math?
OK. There are 3.79 Liters per US gallon.
So 3.79 x 90 pence = 3.41 UK per US gallon.
3.41 X 1.87 = $6.37 per gallon.
Hell I ain't ever going home !!!!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm assuming that 90p is .9 of British pound...

£1 = US$1.829, so .9 = $1.695

1.695 x 3.785 = US$6.42 for US Gallon :shock: ! Ouch! And, wow, the pound really took off against the dollar!

1.13 Euro = $1.3775, so that's $5.21 for a US Gallon.

Suddenly, I'm not feeling as bad about the local pricing structure.

DOH - you beat me V6er!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
PlatzDa said:
Everybody grab yer ankles and hold on!!

lol!!!! :lol:
Classic! Totally! I cant use enough sware words about the pricing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wonder if European countries have higher pay scales so it's all relative. :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Gas is up to 2:39 here... seeing as I did about 8k miles of driving over the 3 months of last summer (June, July, August) I am really looking forward to these gas prices :nervous: :cry:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts