Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF is up with the gas prices!!!??? They are already astronomical! Who are they kidding...I hear on the news this morning they could approach $3 a gallon by summer!!!??? Is the difference in production cost etc...really that much higher!!!??? Or are they using it as excuses to spike prices and pass on a good a$$ raping to the customers :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gas companies suck...I'm glad I have the four cylinder...it's enough to make me want to run 87 in it for a while...to hell with performance. Jerks.

aaaaaaaaaah....this house is cleeah....sorry for the rant...figured some of you can feel me on this.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
These are the reasons why as cited in the paper today:

1 - The switchover from Winter blend to Summer blend requires the refineries to be convereted (downtime)
2- While switching over, they came across problems which slowed production
3- Problems with other refineries are also to blame
4 - With such short supply and higher demand from last year, prices have gone up

You're right... they said gas prices has a potential of reaching $3 a gallon this summer in California. Plus... we probably won't see prices in the mid $1 anymore when prices do slowly come back down. BTW... what part of Sacto?

full story here: http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/v-print/story/8395877p-9325565c.html

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Sharky said:
I hope it IS $3 a gallon, like TOMORROW.

I want to see the Expedition-driving jackasses lose it.
Or the Tahoes! or the Suburbans! Those things are seriously, ridiculously outrageously, grossly, oversized pieces of shit!! They're WAYYYY TOO BIGG!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
you guys are too slow, gas is already over $3 a gallon on Coranado Island, here in San diego. Granted that's full service, premium, but it's here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gas prices

Looks like I picked a bad time to buy a W8 :(

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yesterday I an article in USA Today about $3 gas. I couldn't believe it.

And I was not happy with $1.77 for Premium here. Guess that's not so bad after all.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Just another ploy by the big oil companies to make even more money off the consumer. Not much competition for the mega companies anymore. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Don't worry, Exxon-Mobil posted record profits for 2003.

Funny how the government will jump in when Microsoft oversteps its bounds, but when the oil companies are taking advantage of the fact that there are 3-4 major ones that all charge the same price there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Blame it all on Bush again :crazy:

Lets propose a gas Hike for the top 1% of the country. Yeah, Let them Pay more for the same gas and then the poor should receive free gas as long as they are not earning more than 10K per year.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Wow that's $2.84 per gallon.
Not exactly...
1 US Gallon = 3.785 Liters
1 US Dollar = 1.339 Canadian dollars (based on today's exchange rate).

.75/1.339 = $0.56

0.56 x 3.785 = $2.12

So, US$2.12 for a US Gallon. I saw premium at .899/liter around Windsor last fall. That converted to $2.487 (even with a more favorable exchange rate in place then).

Anyway, here 93 AKI octane is $1.859 last time I filled up a couple of days ago. I expect to exceed last summer's peak of $1.899 before the end of the month. I have learned to resist temptation and stay out of boost a little more. :(

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
You know it's funny, because I think $3 gas prices will only hurt Bush, look what energy crises did to Carter and to Gov. Davis here in CA. I can't imagine that his Big Oil buddies will hang him out to dry like that, but then again, they'd sell thier mother to make an extra nickel.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
BooRadley said:
You know it's funny, because I think $3 gas prices will only hurt Bush, look what energy crises did to Carter and to Gov. Davis here in CA. I can't imagine that his Big Oil buddies will hang him out to dry like that, but then again, they'd sell thier mother to make an extra nickel.
Are you kidding?

The difference between Bush and Carter/Davis is that Bush is willing to let his oil buddies poke holes in the ice up in Alaska and wherever else they want.

I'd think oil companies are praying for gas prices to rise, the people to demand an answer, and for Bush to offer up the Alaska solution. When it gets to the point that people will be so strapped for gas money they will look the other way while Exxon and whoever else gets to rape formerly pristine wilderness, it'll happen.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think bush knows he's out of a job in nov, and is simply grabbing as much cash as possible on the way out. :roll: :wink: :lol:

life is good!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
33 Participants
Postman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing