Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is there a good amount of time before the car responds to that the gas was pushed. Even after getting chipped, this still exists. Is that a downside to the DBW? Any good aftermarket parts to make this better?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Is the drive by wire a term used to say driving in Tip mode? I don't know what you have but I'm driving a 02 1.8T Tip and I notice lag when I'm in stop and go traffic and have to gun it from basically a stop to hop out into an adjacent lane. It's damn right dangerous. :eek:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
DBW is the term coined for no direct MECHANICAL connection from the accelerator pedal to the engine. The pedal is basically a sensor and senses how much you push down, it translates that info in the computer basically and tells the engine the amount of throttle.

1.8T, especially Tip, will have some lag off a stop - shipped or not. It is something you will adjust and get use to. It is not until 2K or so when the Turbo kicks in.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I disagree, there is a definate differnce between the DBW lag and turbo lag. With turbo lag you have least some throttle before the turbo kicks in and you get a boost.

DBW lag, you get no throttle, then boom, instant throttle, like it's trying to catching up because it missed everything between between point A and point B in throttle postion, and so just went straight to B. This happens with the V6's as well.

It was easy for me to notice this because my brother has a 2001 GLX(V6) -DBW, and I have a 99 GLX(V6) -no DBW.

Arroyo said:
What you're experiencing is turbo lag. If anything, the drive-by-wire is suppose to be quicker than drive-by-cable, which the early B5s had.
I don't think VW was looking for faster throttle response, but more so they could more easly(and cheaply) integrate systems together like ASR, ESP, etc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Arroyo said:
What you're experiencing is turbo lag. If anything, the drive-by-wire is suppose to be quicker than drive-by-cable, which the early B5s had.
"Turbo lag" is the term generally used to define the dead spot in the power curve before the turbocharger can spool up, which is down in the lower RPMs. It's not a slight hesitation, but an entire (albeit very low) range where the engine feels as though it's hardly making any power.
On the other hand, the hesistation spoken of is a destinct trait of DBW, and is only amplified by the Tiptronic transmission.

Don't believe it?

Try driving a new V6 Tiptronic. That same hesistation will be present, which pretty much eliminates it as being turbo lag.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is an excellent full discription of why this happens in the Passats, regardless of model, somewhere in this website. It all has to do with the computers analysis of your driving style. I have a W8 (no turbo) and it has the same quirk. When I complained about it to my dealers service manager, he said "I know, I know"!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Marie said:
There is an excellent full discription of why this happens in the Passats, regardless of model, somewhere in this website. It all has to do with the computers analysis of your driving style. I have a W8 (no turbo) and it has the same quirk. When I complained about it to my dealers service manager, he said "I know, I know"!
That's different - that's called the adaptive tranny and it learns your driving pattern. Although it may eliminate a LITTLE lag after a while, there's no doubt that it's still present. The adaptive tranny is more about controlling when it should shift not whether it is quick off the line which is just DBW lag.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
As Campy notes, the combination of DBW and the tiptronic makes for the most "lag". DBW and a 5 speed makes for minimal delay since you can work the clutch and throttle together. At least for the 1.8T's though, cars with DBW seem to tune easier and have more repeatable results due to the greater range of fuel adjustment available and data from the boost sensor. Just my $.25.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
if you have a tip then get the tip chip from GIAC it will change gear change from 1 second to .2 seconds. The DBW lag is defiantly there, but i believe the lag that is most provelent is the tip lag. get a chip be happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
jeffsu350
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing