Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 30 seconds after driving away from the house the engine started missing something awful, turned around and hooked up the OBD, missing on cyl 2. A quick search here resulted in a most probable cause as a faulty ICM or as the repair manual states "Ignition Coil Power Output Stage", the little black thing from Bosch mounted on the aircleaner, 4 wires on one side, 5 on the other.

So I start calling, VW dealer number 1: $456, need to order it, takes three days. Dealer 2: $489, can have it the next day. WTFO?

I call NAPA: $195, can have it in a day. I call BAP: $180, can have it in the morning. So I order it from BAP. I can see on the web it is for sale for as little as $65, but that takes a week, and who knows who made it...

Watch out where you get your parts... Thanks for the help, again.

add $185 to my Mx bill of $12k on my 99 Passat "Lemonator"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be thankful you don't own an Audi. The glovebox door broke on my S4 and and a new door... just the door, without lock, without glovebox, is over $400. My clutch job was over $1500 and that was just for parts. New shift knob? That'll be $198 please.

Yup, VW parts, while still expensive, are a deal compared to the other european brands. Shortly after the glovebox door broke on my S4, it broke on my passat too. I think the VW dealer quoted me around $150 for a new one; less than half the price of the Audi.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yup, VW parts, while still expensive, are a deal compared to the other european brands.
On the whole, are other european brand parts really that much more expensive? I know I have seen several VW/Audi dealers where the hourly labor rates were exactly the same. I always assumed that the parts would be as well.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
Be thankful you don't own an Audi. The glovebox door broke on my S4 and and a new door... just the door, without lock, without glovebox, is over $400. My clutch job was over $1500 and that was just for parts. New shift knob? That'll be $198 please.

Yup, VW parts, while still expensive, are a deal compared to the other european brands. Shortly after the glovebox door broke on my S4, it broke on my passat too. I think the VW dealer quoted me around $150 for a new one; less than half the price of the Audi.
eh...
error in descriptions.
VW and audi prices are the same, as they interchange the parts.

dealership inflation is the killer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
eh...
error in descriptions.

Not all parts are interchangeable. If the glove box door for my Passat would fit on my S4, I'd buy it for $150 instead of the $430 Audi wants for it. I used to work the parts counter at a VW dealership back in the late 90's so I know how bad the dealer inflation is, but I'd have a hard time believing it is responsible for the difference of $150 vs $430 for essentially the kind of part.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
eh...
error in descriptions.

When 1stvwparts sold audi parts there was a 15% surcharge for audi parts
just and fyi

I think I'd have made sure it wasn't the $25 coil pack before I forked out $200 for an ICM...but that's just me. ;)
Coil packs are alot more for the aeb motor. 55 is about the cheapest you will find them

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts