Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2nd new VW, the first being an '03 Jetta GLI that I wore a hole in the driver's carpeted floor mat, where my right heel pivots between the gas and brake pedals, at around 15,000 miles.

The Passat now has a hole in the same spot on the driver's mat, and it's got a whopping 16,750 miles on it!

I'm pretty anal-retentive about my cars, so the mats haven't been overly neglected;)

Looking at the VW mats, they are super thin & cheaply made.......does VW put this kind of junk in the Phaeton and Touareg??? Do the Audis get the same crappy mats that the Passats do????

I just traded my '01 Toyota Sequoia in with almost 70,000 miles on the original mats, and they still looked great!!! Of course, they were 3x thicker than the VW mats.....

So who makes a carpeted floor mat (I HATE rubber mats, so Monstermats are out) that is thicker, more durable, and still reasonably affordable, that will fit like an OEM mat in the Passat????

Ben

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Strangely, I've heard the OEM mats from the dealer (not in your car) are thicker. Might be worth checking out.
Aftermarket VW mats are harder to find due to the clips
---
Strangely enough, I hate most rubber mats, but I really like the mostermats. Feels good on the feet and keeps your carpet pristine.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Ya they are crap .. I took mine out the day I bought it .. put them back in the day I sold it ..

I to went withthe rubber mats but Monster Mats are over prices and some have worn too .. I used the set of 4 Weathertech ... cost $35 .. lasted 13 years now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Depends how you drive, I suppose (and how fancy the footwork).

I'm a satisfied Monstermats user. Plus, they say 'Passat' on them, lest my soon-to-be-walking passenger mis-ID their mode of transport as a Jetta.

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
The set I bought 1 year ago (almost to date) from 1stvwparts.com suck. They are the thinner ones and already have a hole in heal area.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
00 passat,orig.OEM mats w/83,000,no holes ................01 passat w/69,000 no holes in mats,might have been replaced when purchased through vw CPO 2yrs/23,000 miles ago...................i noticed they are thinner,bought new replacements anyway ,the jetta mats seem to wear out quicker......,maybe because of stick,both passats are tip trans

1 - 11 of 11 Posts