Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of this 2015 Passat S manual. In some conditions, such as this snowy 29 degreee morning the defrost SUCKS! The picture below is after my 35 minute drive in to the office. I had the head on between 50% and 100%, the AC was on (which often helps some) and the fan was anywhere from 50% to 100%. Towards the end I had both the head and fan at 100%, so it was too toasty in the car for me. I am wondering am I doing something wrong, is something broken, is this normal, any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
To help you, you will need to post pictures of the buttons you pushed on the controls for where the heat or defrost is going, passengers, feet, windows, etc... Additionally, read the owner’s manual again to make sure you are pushing the correct buttons to clear the front windshield. In the meantime, if you set the temperature control to a high setting and push the top half button of the large button that the bottom half of the button turns on the rear window defroster, the top half button will turn the fan on high which will clear all the fogged windows inside the car quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what, I thought folks might want to see how I had things set, so I did take a picture of it, here you go:

I had the temp anywhere from half way to max, the fan from 4 to 6 and from time to time I would move the right control up one to between where it is and 100% defrost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I apologize; I thought the controls were the same as mine. I drive a 2018 SEL, it is setup much different than yours and what I wrote previously is not relevant to your vehicle. Your last picture shows something that might work, try deselecting the A/C, and the selection showing the interior of the car and putting the fan to high after the car warms up a little to see if that works better. I again would go to your manual to verify which selections to choose.

I hope someone with the same setup will chime in, but in the meantime I hope my suggestion works,
Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope someone with the same setup will chime in, but in the meantime I hope my suggestion works
Actually, when it is raining really hard the problem is far worse if I do NOT turn on the AC, I think that pulls some moisture out of the air. I assume it was the same thing this morning when it was just super humid and colder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the picture, the far right push button you have illuminated is the air recirculation. All the humid air in the cabin is being recirculated and no fresh air is coming into the vehicle. Turn this off so fresh outside air is brought in. This should solve your problem.

The only time you use the recirculation option is in extreme heat so the A/C doesn't have to work so hard trying to cool incoming air from outside.

·
Administrator
23,548 Posts
Check the car for water under the carpet. The A/C removes moisture and heat from the air by passing it over the evaporator. That is why most cars now automatically turn on the A/C when setting to windshield defrost. Agreed, turn off the recirculation.

The only time you use the recirculation option is in extreme heat so the A/C doesn't have to work so hard trying to cool incoming air from outside.
Or when you are behind a foul smelling vehicle, pass a freshly fertilized farm, etc. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts