Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, hello all, I shall introduce myself now that i am an owner/member.

I been driving an Acura Legend for a while now and am not new to automotive forums...before that i had an old pathfinder.

What brings me here?
I *JUST* purchased a 99 passat glx, with the 4 banger turbo. I got a killer deal on it and could not pass it up. The car has 118k miles. White with black leather interior. Exterior is *minty* except for the crappy lenses (i am sure easily fixable). Leather is excellent. Glove box door latch is broken and missing. Center armrest is crapped out. Sideview mirror knob is broken. Trunk won't latch/lock.

And now for the big problem. The car wont start. I was pretty sure it is a battery/alternator problem. The car sat for 2 months before I got it (rusty rotors-eww, but thats another story). The guy who sold it to me siad he thinks it is the alternator, but before I invest any money- I would like to be sure.

here is what i have done so far:

-I tried starting it with a "jump pack"-- it turned over but the pack was weak so no start.
-Then i tried jumping with my legend-no start. Barely turned over.
-I ripped out the battery and put it on the charger..over night....had it "load tested" and turned out the battery was bad, i am gonna raise hell at the Stealership since it was only 18 months old and they are jerking me on around on the pphone (i have a receipt).
-Then i took the "jump pack" and charged it, placed it in place of the battery and hooked up the wires direct (remember-no battery) and i got power, but it did not even attempt to turn over. My right turn signal came one and would not go out until i removed the jump pack...strange..maybe a Vdub thing?

Any and all help here is appreciated, of course I am gonna search most of this stuff but thought I should introduce myself first.

and I WILL HAvE PICS FOR YOU ALL TOMORROW
dont hit me with the "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS"

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
good luck with the car.
make sure you have the radio code.
new batt for sure.
and a 4 cyl GLX????

PS: nice screen name

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Where in Northern VA are you? I'm in Ashburn. If you need a VAG-COM session, hit me up.

Oh, and this thread is very nearly useless without pics.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-I think i meant GLS
-good call on the radio code, and i almost ogt worried, but it has an aftermarket now that i think of it....lol
-I am in Fairfax, right near Annandale. I am assuming th VAG-COM (haha) session is a diagnostic thing-a-ma-bob-er. I may take you up on that.

Anyone have any experience with Fairfax VW on Rt 50? they were really shi+ty to me on the phone...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Stohlman's in Manassas is supposed to be the best in the area, but I take my car to Curry's now. I buy parts from ECS Tuning, DiscountVDubParts, and Lindsay VW in Dulles.

Yes, the VAG-COM is a USB cable that lets you futz with your car's computer system as though you owned one of the massively-expensive VW diagnostic computers. It even comes with enough safety warnings that you don't have to be an expert to use it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, i will keep manassas Stohlman's on my list. The issue I am having with Fairfax is that they did not want to test the battery for me unless i brought in the car. i dont want to pay towing, $80 diagnostics, and then $134 for a battery and then another $80 for the install.

they fed me this bullsh+t: "we will only replace it if it's in the car we put it in and the car is here and tested." What if I purchased it and carried it out? No warranty? testing a battery takes 30 seconds, i dont see the problem here. The parts transfered my call to service, back and forth...few times. Finally, they refered me to VW of America. Like, dude..you want me to place a complaint when all I ask for is a free service that ANY corner parts store offers for FREE?

Am i over reacting here?

I took it to the good ole' boys at the Economy Auto parts Store and they immediately tested it (45 seconds flat, no questions asked), and it was not even purchased there! now I can go in to the dealership and request a new one, prorated.
I am going first thing in the morning. Wish me luck.

Back to my original issue, why is my left turn signal come on and stay on when i try to jump directly with no battery? Anyone seen this issue before?

That Vag sounds awesome, whats the K-wire?

Thanks for your time here guys...

PS- I just realized I got triptronic! kick AsS!
PSS- I am going to lay off the LONG posts too.

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
DO NOT GO TO FAIRFAX VW...... Worst place EVER!!! Ever sine Larry S left that place has gone down the tubes in my opinion. He sold me 5 cars and if ever the service dept gave me trouble (which was often) he was over there in a hertbeat. He left and went to Lindsey VW in Dulles. I talked to him and he says the service dept is great out there.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Ok, i will keep manassas Stohlman's on my list. The issue I am having with Fairfax is that they did not want to test the battery for me unless i brought in the car. i dont want to pay towing, $80 diagnostics, and then $134 for a battery and then another $80 for the install.

they fed me this bullsh+t: "we will only replace it if it's in the car we put it in and the car is here and tested." What if I purchased it and carried it out? No warranty? testing a battery takes 30 seconds, i dont see the problem here. The parts transfered my call to service, back and forth...few times. Finally, they refered me to VW of America. Like, dude..you want me to place a complaint when all I ask for is a free service that ANY corner parts store offers for FREE?

Am i over reacting here?

I took it to the good ole' boys at the Economy Auto parts Store and they immediately tested it (45 seconds flat, no questions asked), and it was not even purchased there! now I can go in to the dealership and request a new one, prorated.
I am going first thing in the morning. Wish me luck.

Back to my original issue, why is my left turn signal come on and stay on when i try to jump directly with no battery? Anyone seen this issue before?

That Vag sounds awesome, whats the K-wire?

Thanks for your time here guys...

PS- I just realized I got triptronic! kick AsS!
PSS- I am going to lay off the LONG posts too.
Yeah, you'll soon learn why everyone here hates the dealership mechanics.

Are you sure the turn signal switch isn't in the left-turn position, or that the headlight switch isn't on? Both of these will cause the turn signals to light up.

Check the main ground wire. Make sure it's not rusty. If it is, unbolt it, scrub it clean with a wire brush, spray it with WD40, and reinstall.

Tiptronic is fun. You can control the car when you want to, and let it do its job when you just want to get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just be careful that the K wire is disconnected so that you dont mess your Vag up
I will leave this up to deusexaethera when it arrives. Thanks for the heads up!

B-5, i will never go back after this experience, its really not that big a deal...but why not go elsewhere..its my money and i deserve better service for my hard earned money! Thanks for letting me know! (I used to be a bartender and before that a server, i know how people should be treated!)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, you'll soon learn why everyone here hates the dealership mechanics.

Are you sure the turn signal switch isn't in the left-turn position, or that the headlight switch isn't on? Both of these will cause the turn signals to light up.

Check the main ground wire. Make sure it's not rusty. If it is, unbolt it, scrub it clean with a wire brush, spray it with WD40, and reinstall.
Yeah, everyone everywhere hates dealers... There is one guy there though...they call him Bay 13 and he is a tech who specializes in Volvo's (used to have an 850 turbo and found him on a forum)...that guy rocks!

The turn signal is not in either position...i checked it. It is actually the right one that stays lit. The headlights were off, i tried clicking the turn signal both ways...in "left" it blinked like it was supposed to and in right, it just stayed on...like it did with the lever in the middle. Strange.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
don't blame the equipment. it was half-assed installers that sent +12V down the K-Line.
From what I've heard its half assed installer using Jetta harnesses and some half-assed companies selling jetta harnesses as passat harnesses.
Could be wrong though, you're certainly the expert :thumbup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My guess is your valves are pressed into the pistons by now. Do you have a timing belt left?
You lost me here buddy... I dont think this has anything to do with the timing belt...the engine did turn ovver and almost start when the battery and jump pack were on it. And the car had a motor swap 50k miles ago, under dealer warranty.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
From what I've heard its half assed installer using Jetta harnesses and some half-assed companies selling jetta harnesses as passat harnesses.
Could be wrong though, you're certainly the expert :thumbup:
You know they're the same harness and BOTH cars have a K-Line in the same location, right?

The problem started with the MkIIIs. If you had a fender mounted antenna all was good. The GTI and the Jetta GT, with the roof mounted FUBAs, had the same antenna the MkIVs and B5s do. In these GTI and Jetta GT there was no K-Line so connecting this wire didn't hurt anything. The regular Jetta dn Golfs didn't have anything connected there either. Unfortunately this harness was also used in some BMWs. Guess what needed to be connected in the BMW. Yep, the amp turn on lead in the K-Line location. Now, to remedy the situation Metra doesn't even insert a power antenna or amp turn on lead into the 70-1784 or the 70-9003 (which again is used by BMW as well) but supplies them to insert for use on older VWs, Audis and BMWs that need them.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
You know they're the same harness and BOTH cars have a K-Line in the same location, right?

The problem started with the MkIIIs. If you had a fender mounted antenna all was good. The GTI and the Jetta GT, with the roof mounted FUBAs, had the same antenna the MkIVs and B5s do. In these GTI and Jetta GT there was no K-Line so connecting this wire didn't hurt anything. The regular Jetta dn Golfs didn't have anything connected there either. Unfortunately this harness was also used in some BMWs. Guess what needed to be connected in the BMW. Yep, the amp turn on lead in the K-Line location. Now, to remedy the situation Metra doesn't even insert a power antenna or amp turn on lead into the 70-1784 or the 70-9003 (which again is used by BMW as well) but supplies them to insert for use on older VWs, Audis and BMWs that need them.
Interesting, did not know that. I haven't clue about audio, I just know what to look for when Vag-comming other cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts