Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My significant other and I just recently (a month) purchased a 2000 Passat 1.8t model, automatic, with just under 70,000 miles. I have an Accord and we got it for her to drive. We both love the car and all, but we just hope this doesn't turn into a money pit. The car has been performing beautifully up until today, really. I just spoke with her and she claims there is black smoke coming from the car when she starts it. I believe it was in the morning but I'm not sure. This past week the emissions workshop signal was coming up and the check engine light as well. I brought the car to Autozone to run the codes and got a bunch of codes telling me that the various cylinders were misfiring. Now of course this seemed strange to me since the car has been running so smoothly since we 1st got it. So I had the codes cleared, figuring if there really was a problem, they would come back. Now this black smoke. If anyone has any insight, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

M

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Welcome as well. First, give your wife the Accord and take the Passat for yourself - you'll be a happier man for it.

I can't help you with the black smoke, which codes came up? I'm sure someone with more mechanical knowledge will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don't B5s have issues with the Ignition Control Module that cause various cylinders to misfire in a similar fashion to bad coilpacks?

There's a way to test the ICM by checking the resistance each of the pins to the ground pin. If any of them are significantly different than any others then that points to a bad ICM.

I'm sure somebody will be able to tell you which pins as my memory is shot today.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
If it was the ICM, you'd know it. The engine shudders like its about to jump out of the engine bay. As for the black smoke, how long does it last? Does it only happen when you start the car, or is the exhaust always black? How are your fluids? Have you monitored oil consumption? Is there any discoloration in the coolant or oil?

If its just a puff of smoke on startup, it could be nothing to worry about, or it could be something as simple as a tank of iffy gas. How long did the lights (emissions workshop and check engine) stay illuminated?

Let us know.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
First, give your wife the Accord and take the Passat for yourself - you'll be a happier man for it.
hahahahaha i agree

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys, thanks for all the replies. the problem she had was this morning. Now I've gotten a chance to drive it. Drove for a lil' bit and ran perfectly. Stopped into Wendy's and came back to the car, turned the ignition key and it kept trying turn over, similar to no fuel making its way up. Hold the key a few seconds and let go then try again and the motor engages. WTF. as far as how much smoke, just a puff at 1st startup. and the emissions workshop and CEL are on again. I think I'm gonna bring it back to autozone to run the check engine test again and see what codes its throwing. btw, when it started up, i just kind of revved the engine in neutral a bit and it seemed like there was a hesitation between pressing the gas and response from the tach. Dunno. also what I'm hearing now is a rattle in the engine compartment, sounds very much like its coming from the engine, like an intermittent rattle. please help. we've only had her for about a month, and up until now we're in love with her. we hardly ever drive the accord, but I do during the week only to work - she needs work too, but that's another story. but we've only put about 500-700 miles on the passat since we've gotten her. I'm considering doing a major tune up on her soon because you never know what's been done prior to you when you buy preowned.

Thanks again.

BTW. I don't want to make the accord jealous but since we've gotten the b5, I've already put considerable thought into a b5.5 :p

M

·
Registered
954 Posts
The hesitation could be Drive By Wire Lag. I am pretty sure DBW in is 2000 and up.

As for the start problem, that happens occationally in my V6 as well. It can usually be attributed to a short trip. These cars don't like to be started and stopped in a short time. Someone here can give a technical description of why that is. I think it has something to do with the car flooding itself becuase it is running richer while trying to warm up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It sounds like you are flooding the engine at startup. The first thing I would do is get a new set of plugs in the car, note the condition of the plug tips when you remove them, are they black and sooty, oilly, white, ect. While you are at autozone getting the plugs have them pull your codes and post a copy of what they find for us. Several things could be causing a rich condition and the vag codes will be the biggest help in figuring out what the problem is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
long time no speak to......

cel and emissions workshop has been coming on intermittently for the past few days. It's weird since the damn thing doesn't stay on or stay off. Took it to autozone yesterday and it only gave one code P1296....but it didn't read coolant temperature sensor or anything like that. It said something about Air Fuel Mixture Factory Meter. I wonder what this could be. Any insights?

Thanks

M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys....its been a long time since i posted anything, here goes.

based on this thread, u guys know what's been going on with the lil' lady...so i won't rehash.
Last Tuesday I brought the car to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at a local VW dealership, he did a VAG-COM check on the major components of the car and said everything was a-ok. He checked the condition of some vacuum lines and changed a few that were weathered pretty bad. He also listened to the engine running and said it seemed to have a camshaft tensioner problem. It still ran strong up until this point.

Well the next day my girl calls me and tells me the car is doing this whole not trying to start thing, again. I go over to her job and try to start it, sure enough, it won't start. I try to start it a couple of times with no luck, then the engine oil light comes on flashing and I get this big red STOP message on the dash display. Now the day before, my friend checked the car and checked the oil level as well. No problems, now this. Not wanting to damage any internals, we had the car towed to the dealership where we purchased it. They said they would have it checked out and would let us know what's going on with it. I was informed the engine was rebuilt before we got her so immediately when i get an indicator of a possible engine problem, i brought the car right back. after a few days in a dealer provided rent-a-car, POS mitsu galant, and numerous phone calls to try to get some info i go to the dealer my self. I speak with the lot manager and he says that after a thorough check, no problem with the engine,but the computer needs to be replaced and should be a couple of more days. so I say cool. we got the car back today, it starts up beautifully and runs great, but now it is still throwing cel codes - i immediately took it to autozone and guess what....engine coolant temp sensor and manufacturer air fuel mixture meter.

Is there anyway to make sure that the computer has been replaced or is this still the old computer with the same codes? OR is the new computer reading these codes and its just time to replace some sensors? Please guys, any insights? Like I said before, I don't want her to turn into a money pit. The engine oil light isn't coming on anymore and neither is the big red STOP signal. The camshaft tensioner issue is seemingly removed. Thank goodness for those at least. Now I'm wondering if all of the vacuum hoses should be replaced with new silicone rubber ones. All of the hoses on my accord are silicone rubber and no problems with them. Sorry about the long post. Oh and btw, we didn't have to come out of pocket for any work. [God is alive] :bow:

M

·
Registered
954 Posts
Replacing the Vacuum lines in the Passat is never a bad idea. The factory ones do not seem to hold up very well. I reccomend 3.5mm from hosetechniques.com

As for the codes, they should have been stored in the computer, so those are likely genuine codes and should be looked into. You should be able to check the sensors by measuring the resistance on them. Unfortunatly I cannot help you with what the values should be. I believe many 1.8Ts have had the coolent sensor replaced and 70,000 sounds about right for some O2 sensors to be failing.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
2.8lB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing