Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 1.8T AT FWD

I am putting a Bazooka Bass Tube in my trunk next week, I would like to mount it down with the included straps. I plan on putting it on the left side of the trunk, right up against the left wheel well. I was wondering what was directly under the floor in that area? How far down is the gas tank and other compononts? Can I screw down thru the floor, or is it too dangerous?

TIA

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scuba2001 said:
I wouldnt screw anything into the floor at all. if anything, I would mount it into the upper frame where the trunk roof is (where the window meets the trunk area) and mount it upside down. would be easier to conceal your wires too then on the floor.

Steve
I was actually thinking about doing that, that way I would save some floor space too.

The only problem is how it's going to sound, I wonder if it would be different since it's not on a floor.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the Bazooka yet, it's still on a UPS truck :mad: so I took a ruler outside and looked around.

It seems if I hang it from under the rear deck I won't have much room under it, and since it will be going sideways it will take up a lot more of the trunk's space- so that idea is out.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
keep it on the floor man...I dont know what is on the floor and whether or not you can screw into it, but it saves the most space even though the sound shouldn't be different regardless of where you mount it

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The positioning of a Bazooka can have DRAMATIC differences in the way it sounds. If you can corner load it in the rear of the trunk then you'll have the most flexibility, especially if it's too loud. If you put it somewhere and it's not loud enough, then you'll have to move it.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
quality_sound said:
The positioning of a Bazooka can have DRAMATIC differences in the way it sounds. If you can corner load it in the rear of the trunk then you'll have the most flexibility, especially if it's too loud. If you put it somewhere and it's not loud enough, then you'll have to move it.

what he said

·
Registered
280 Posts
DITTO. also the same with any other sub you may use

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my original idea was to have it run longways (front to back) along the left wheel well, with the driver facing rearwards (aimed at the left tail light). That would be good for sound, right? It would also hide all the wires, I would have to connect it and make adjustments by folding down the rear seat, which is fine by me.

But my problem is mounting it, I would like it screwed down since I drive kinda harsh. But I am worried about what's under the trunk floor if I screw into it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quality_sound said:
The mounting brackets don't have to face down. You can mount it to the side panel.

I thought about that too, but the side panel is carpet layed right against the metal wheel well. I would worry about screwing into that as well.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
First take that wheel off and see how much clearance you have. Then, drill small pilot holes and use a nut and bolt instead of a screw. Also, the carpet itself will be strong enough by itself so you can mount it to that if you want.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In my car, the trunk basement is under the trunk floor. I don't use it too much, except for some excercise equipment and my collection of rare and fine wines. I like to go down there when the car has been sitting in the parking lot all day because it's nice and cool. Three or four bottles of wine while I walk on the treadmill and I'm ready for the commute home. By then it's usually cooler upstairs in the passenger compartment. :D

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
My Bazooka I mounted by using one strap that I attached to the lower hinge on the side panel cover and then I added a "D" ring at the back of the sub housing and used a starp to attach it to the left front tie down in the trunk floor. This not only secures it but gives you the flexibility to move back and fort for sound quality.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beavis said:
In my car, the trunk basement is under the trunk floor. I don't use it too much, except for some excercise equipment and my collection of rare and fine wines. I like to go down there when the car has been sitting in the parking lot all day because it's nice and cool. Three or four bottles of wine while I walk on the treadmill and I'm ready for the commute home. By then it's usually cooler upstairs in the passenger compartment. :D
I am just so fucking confused :???: Maybe it's the memorial day beer :D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jesstzn said:
My Bazooka I mounted by using one strap that I attached to the lower hinge on the side panel cover and then I added a "D" ring at the back of the sub housing and used a starp to attach it to the left front tie down in the trunk floor. This not only secures it but gives you the flexibility to move back and fort for sound quality.

Hey, that's exactly where I was planning on positioning mine! Maybe I'll do something similiar, altho I'd like mine to be more forward since I use that side panel cubby all the time and need quick access.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Paradigm said:
[Hey, that's exactly where I was planning on positioning mine! Maybe I'll do something similiar, altho I'd like mine to be more forward since I use that side panel cubby all the time and need quick access.
It slides back easy ,, just relase the clasp,, also it sounds better 6" from the back

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Paradigm said:
[Hey, that's exactly where I was planning on positioning mine! Maybe I'll do something similiar, altho I'd like mine to be more forward since I use that side panel cubby all the time and need quick access.
It slides back easy ,, just relase the clasp,, also it sounds better 6" from the back

That depends on your definition of "better". For a maximally flat response 6" from a boundary works best but for rap, r&b, country and anything with heavy midbass closer to the wall works better.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quality_sound said:
That depends on your definition of "better". For a maximally flat response 6" from a boundary works best but for rap, r&b, country and anything with heavy midbass closer to the wall works better.

I'm just looking for some extra bass. Keeping it 6" from the back won't work out well for me.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Paradigm said:
quality_sound said:

I'm just looking for some extra bass. Keeping it 6" from the back won't work out well for me.
Then it would be best to get it in and play with the positioning.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.