Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know what it does but what is its purpose .... is it just to let you see your exhaust temps and let you know that you need to calm the freak down and give your turbo a break

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It is just one more indicator of the performance of your engine. Excess EGT's can lead to more than just turbo problems they can also cause your engine to "melt". I dont think there would be much of a need for one on a relatively stock engine, they are more handy for when you start to mess with A/F ratios and start operating at higher boost levels.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
Pretty common in modified turbo setups, abnormally high exhaust temps are generally indicative of a lean fuel condition which can lead to detonation and eventually some major damage to valves and pistons.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Certain types of pyrometers are also used by (real) race drivers to get an idea of how their tires are doing between runs. I've seen a decent number of autocrossers do this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info always good to know :thumbup: i hate talking about stuff when i have no real understanding of its purpose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts