Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the "truth" about first and subsequent oil changes?

When I took delivery of my '04 1.8T, the dealer wrote in the user manual: First oil change 12/04 or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I have found no reference in the owner's manual - to keep the initial oil in for 5,000 miles or 6 months.

Since the dealer was never able to tell me whether the car comes from the factory will "full synthetic" or with "synthetic blend", it appears to me it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you leave the original fill in for 5,000 miles or not.

I plan on doing my own oil/filter changes - and will use Mobil 1 in the correct viscosity - every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Ummm, this comes up for debate periodically, the old "should I go 5,000 miles before the first change or not" quandary. Some argue it's foolish to wait and that you should change early. Others argue that 5,000 miles is necessry for "proper break-in."

Personally, I went 6 months with 4,000 miles on the clock. I'm on my third oil change now with what I would call virtually nil oil consumption on a 1.8T (I can't visually detect any change of the level on the dipstick between oil changes). My driving habits let me change every 6 months and with between 4,000 to 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Part of the problem is the fact that manufacturing technology has evolved such that those things that were once undeniably true have become old wives tales. There was a time when VW used a special factory-fill oil, which they required to remain in the car for a minimum of 5000 miles. Whatever the magic formula was, it was there to facilitate ring and valve seating, the assumption being that the "break-in" oil should actually promote friction up to a point. There have been actually studies done by actual members of Club B5 (on older cars) that have shown that changing factory-fill oil too early, particularly with Synthetic, resulted in poor ring seating.

However, manufacturing processes have come so far in the last 20 years that the above considerations, by all credible accounts, have been proven false. There is credible testimony that VW no longer uses a special factory-fill oil in their new cars.

So, I think you're probably okay to change it at 3000 miles.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Kenny Payne said:
Part of the problem is the fact that manufacturing technology has evolved such that those things that were once undeniably true have become old wives tales. There was a time when VW used a special factory-fill oil, which they required to remain in the car for a minimum of 5000 miles. Whatever the magic formula was, it was there to facilitate ring and valve seating, the assumption being that the "break-in" oil should actually promote friction up to a point. There have been actually studies done by actual members of Club B5 (on older cars) that have shown that changing factory-fill oil too early, particularly with Synthetic, resulted in poor ring seating.

However, manufacturing processes have come so far in the last 20 years that the above considerations, by all credible accounts, have been proven false. There is credible testimony that VW no longer uses a special factory-fill oil in their new cars.

So, I think you're probably okay to change it at 3000 miles.

HTH

Kenny
Last I spoke to Bel about it, he's only really seen that problem on 2.0 engines... Calling Bel.... :bow:

·
Registered
45 Posts
This comes at a good timing as I was about to change my oil as well after talking to my mechanic yesterday. I took delivery of a new 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T 5MT a few weeks ago and had swung by to see him over the weekend but he was not in. So I called him to chat and told him that I was by on the weekend. As our conversation progresses, he asked for the mileage on my car and I told him that I've just passed 500 miles

So he asked whether I've changed the oil which I replied in the negative. He said it should have been changed at 300 miles to clean out the excess stuff from the factory etc and I should be able to drive it hard now. He added that dealers would want you to take it easy on the car as well as maintain the 5000 miles oil change recommendation as it is safer for them. If we start driving hard after the warranty period, then should anything go wrong, we will have to go back to them and they will sharpen their blades and be able to charge us more.

So I'm wondering whether this is pretty much his "old school theory" (no he's quite a young chap) as he seems to be that way on certain issues and have been a great mechanic friend for the last 12 yrs.

It would be nice to get better input on this. At this time, I'm holding off doing the oil change till I hear more.

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.