Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the handout the tint shop gave me, but I was wondering what all you use to clean your tinted windows. Before, I would use good ol windex and clean newspaper to get that shine on my untinted glass. Still do on the outside.... but what about the tinted stuff?

What cloths do you use? cleaning solution?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well, I use diapers and Next dimension window cleaner.
I have tried many window cleaners and this one being the best and is safe for tinted windows! The cloth diapers well no scratching to worry about :wink:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
chrisyoon ... What I have done is found a *ammonia* free window cleaner and used it. Thing is as with most window cleaners you think you have them clean then you turn into the sun and the windshield is full of streaks.

I accidently fell into this cleaning method;

Take a look around your automotive or house cleaning sections of the dept. store and find the Turle Wax Micro Fiber Cleaning cloths. They are about $2

1) wash the windows with the above cleaner ( only do it once )

2) wiper the window down with a damp paper towel

3) dry it with the MF towel , better yet if you have two of them .. use the second to wipe it when dry.

They will not scratch and it will be streak free. In a week or 2 or when needed now just wipe with the damp paper towel and dry with the MF. No need for the window cleaner. The Wal-Mart 5 / $4.97 towels work close to as good.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I take an old windex bottle fill with water and add 3-4 drops of dish soap. I then use this with cotton towels to clean the tint.

I still use windex....and still use newspaper. Never had any issues. No scratched tint., no peeling etc....
I do not know how you are getting away with this :thumbdow:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ammonia and vinegar will eventually cloud the tint. That is why you are not suppose to use them. Most auto parts places and Wally World will carry such cleaners. Of course scratches will come from the use of an abrasive material to apply.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I used some brand called eagle something or other, from Autozone, there are other safe window cleaners to use also, but this one is made for tinted windows.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry guys, cant pass up a tint question.
What we found works very good:
When you wash your car, after drying it off, hit both sides of the window, inside and out, with a glass cleaner. Any glass cleaner is okay.
Then wipe down your window with either a shammy or MF, whatever you prefer.
and then immediately go over the same window with a clean paper towell or two.
It works really well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just started realizing I haven't cleaned my windows for over 8 months :shock:
Ever since I got my windows tinted........ Uh oh......

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
MattinPismo said:
You didnt notice the tint slowly got darker and darker and darker........ :D
Didn't get darker... but for sure when the sun is in the way you can see a layer of whatever it is hahah...... i'm usually too lazy to get inside the car to wipe the windows... taking some effort to vacuum the inside is already hard enough for me

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a well known fact and stated at every tint shop DON'T USE AMMONIA products on the tint. The quality of tint and the compounds that make it have changed and therefore some people will "think" there's not a problem with it. Use it long enough and when your smoke tint is purple, you'll know. I use Eagle 20/20 with a MF cloth, actually 2, I use one for the application of the spray and the other to dry. Even when you use an MF cloth, you need to use the type for glass, like the ones you can get at the Eye Doctor.
8)
IMHO

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Most tint shops will sell a silicone based cleaner/conditioner. It also allows the window to slide easier into the door as it lubricates the tint somewhat. Both tint shops I have gone to have sold similar stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I alternate between Sprayway and Stoner's glass foam cleaners. I apply with a MF (microfiber) towel and then follow up with a clean, dry MF. For the interior windows with tint, I'll ocassionally polish with Plexus. For exterior windows, I'll polish with Autoglym glass polish, not every time I clean them, but when I've been through some nasty weather or something that I feel needs extra attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts