Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on order new rotors ( brembo O.E.) and pads ( either PBR/Axxis Metal Masters or Ultimates) and I've heard different theories on the proper bed in procedure for brake pads. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Step #1: Find a deserted road where you can reach about 80mph safely without endangering others.

Step #2: Gradually warm the new rotors and pad with a few decellerations from 70 mph to 45. Do not come to a full stop during this process as it could cause uneven distribuition of pad material on the rotor.

Step #3: Once the rotors are warmed make about 8 runs from 80 to 10mph at the verge of ABS activation. This will cause the pad material to form an even bond to the rotor. The goal is to have an even layer of pad material to the rotor. Again, do not come to a complete stop as this may cause uneven distribution of pad material.

Step #4: Cool down the brakes gradually without coming to a complete stop. You will know that you have done it right if the rotor turns a nice blue hue.

Good Luck - James Yu

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I used the agressive bedding procedure described in both posts above. I put on Brembo OEM and Axxis Ultimates. Good braking and no more noise than my mostly worn original brakes and pads. Haven't washed my car yet, so I can't say how much dust collects.

One thing doesn't seem right, I can see my rotors are getting hit harder toward the outside of the swept area. I noticed this first that it was more purple further out on the rotor. Now I see deeper grooves developing out there. This is on both sides equally. This seem like a problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
ganseg
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing