Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says??
As anybody know or has some kind of paper as a proof that relocating a diverter valve is gain any benefit??

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
I don't know if anyone would have proof. More along the lines as "it feels faster returning to boost". It always seemed odd to me, you depressurize the entire pre-throttle intake system either at the turbo or at the throttle body. With a front mount, I would think you loose less overall intake pressure by leaving it at the turbo.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
The DV being right next to the turbo, dumps the inertia of the turbine/impeller far better than if it were further away. The whole point is to avoid compressor surge when the throttle snaps shut while the turbo is revved up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I forgot why I did I years ago but I ran a blow off valve next to the throttle body for over 100k miles turbo was still kicking at 160k so how bad is this surging anyway

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
The blow-off valve should provide similar compressor-surge protection as the diverter valve, but has the negative side-effect of a brief rich mixture, due to the air being pulled past the MAF sensor, and out the blow-off valve, while the throttle is closed. The diverter valve avoids that because the airflow past the MAF essentially stops while the throttle is closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts