Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be very helpful if someone could explain or give me a link that explains the easiest method to get to the radio serial number. I need to get that number since I dont have the the radio code and plan on disconecting the battery this weekend.

Thanks much

Chad

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Easy, take it to your nearst dealer and ask them to get the code for you. If they tell you some BS about a charge, show them in your audio system owners manual where it says this service will be provided at no charge for a long as that car (whether you're the original owner or not) is on the road.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the code need to be reprogramed into the head unit if I disconnect the battery? Or does the code only need to be used if the head unit is actually disconnected at the wiring harness. The reason i ask is because i will be disconnecting the battery soon whenever i install an aftermarket amplifier.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Paul

It has been my experience if the headunit is going back in the car in originally came out of the code does not need to be entered, I have also seen where the code did not need to entered after loss of battery power at least on 2000 and up cars.

Pete

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Every, and I mean EVERY VW coded radio I've seen, even the newer ones needed to have the code entered after battery power was lost. Worst case is he lucks out and doesn't need it now, but it's nice to have if he ever does.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same happened with my gamma radio, I took it out of the car and put it back in. The display said "SAFTEY" for a few secs and then it was fine. No code needed.

Dan

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
The radio code for your stereo can be found on a sticker affixed to the wheel well of your spare tire in your trunk.

HTHs!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Bmpassat said:
Paul

It has been my experience if the headunit is going back in the car in originally came out of the code does not need to be entered, I have also seen where the code did not need to entered after loss of battery power at least on 2000 and up cars.

Pete
I didn't disconnect battery power, but when I removed my head unit from my 2004 for about 4hrs (when installing my ipod), I didn't need my code when I plugged it back in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your iPod installation

gig103 said:
Bmpassat said:
Paul

Pete
I didn't disconnect battery power, but when I removed my head unit from my 2004 for about 4hrs (when installing my ipod), I didn't need my code when I plugged it back in.
gig103,

Nice iPod install!

I see that you used the Sik Imp while the electrically similar install at
http://www.grazethepavement.net/Westy/ipod.htm
used the Belkin. The Belkin lets you adjust the output volume, and also offers a true "one wire" connection; but the sound quality may not be as good (I suppose one could take the Belkin apart and use the inputs to the amp, instead of the outputs).

So -- do you find the volume OK? That is, does it match the general volume of the radio and/or CD? If they don't match, I can imagine overly loud sound when changing in one direction or the other.

And why did you choose the Sik over the Belkin?

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
knowledgeseeker
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing