Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up ladies and gents...

I think that I want to buy a Corrado. Well, I KNOW that I want to buy a Corrado, but when and what kind is a different story. Soon hopefully.

Anyway, I know some about the VR6's, but not much about the G60. The G60 has a 1.8, right? Which is more tunable? Which can I squeeze more HP out of? When I get one, it's going to be my little project car...taking the place of my '96 Trans Am.

It's time to go all German!!!! Hehe.

So.....let me know what's up....everyone tell me everything you can about the Corrado models. Hopefully ALFRED will chime in because I know he had a bad ass G60. TIA!

-Harry

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (SDPassatT)

If you are looking for power you are better off keeping that 96 Trans Am

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (Z28Driver)

Hehe.....very, very true Z28, but it's time for a change. I've had the T/A for 6 years. I'll miss her.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

I hear you...from what i understand the G60 has numerous electrical and supercharger issues. I am not sure that i would leave that motor in it. I personally would run a 1.8T set up money no option project car. I hear that there are more parts coming out for the Vr6 motor that may give it a boost in the aftermarket sorry i cant help more

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (Z28Driver)

Thanks a lot though Z...any input is cool, and yours is always definitely welcome. I've heard about electrical issues of the Corrado, but nothing about the G60's s'charger issues..thanks for the heads up.
Hmmmm......I'm still doing some online research hoping some other guys chime in too. I'd rather hear from the guys here than read some stinky article. Do you think it would be hard to put a 1.8T in there?

By the way Z28....I'll be in Jersey on Friday afternoon...NE part close to Paramus, you live near there?

<![CDATA[Thanks a lot though Z...any input is cool, and yours is always definitely welcome. I've heard about electrical issues of the Corrado, but nothing about the G60's s'charger issues..thanks for the heads up.
Hmmmm......I'm still doing some online research hoping some other guys chime in too. I'd rather hear from the guys here than read some stinky article. Do you think it would be hard to put a 1.8T in there?

By the way Z28....I'll be in Jersey on Friday afternoon...NE part close to Paramus, you live near there?

[Modified by SDPassatT, 9:17 PM 9/11/2002]

·
Registered
865 Posts

I would get a VR6 Corrado to start off with. The G60 may be supercharged, but it's an 8-valve. I suppose if you wanted it to be a lightweight, you could get a G60. If you choose to go G60, here are some common and worthwhile mods:

G80 Charger: Supercharger from a euro-spec G80 Corrado
Camshaft: Grind is personal preference
Intake: Never hurts, especially in a forced induction engine
Valve springs: If you wanna rev high for long periods of time, this is a must

Also, make sure the charger is fairly new (<10,000 miles), as THEY DO BREAK, especially after 40-50K.

If you want more info, you can email, IM, whatever.

Good luck
Jimmy

[EDIT: Lightweight as in a light car:
]

<![CDATA[I would get a VR6 Corrado to start off with. The G60 may be supercharged, but it's an 8-valve. I suppose if you wanted it to be a lightweight, you could get a G60. If you choose to go G60, here are some common and worthwhile mods:

G80 Charger: Supercharger from a euro-spec G80 Corrado
Camshaft: Grind is personal preference
Intake: Never hurts, especially in a forced induction engine
Valve springs: If you wanna rev high for long periods of time, this is a must

Also, make sure the charger is fairly new (<10,000 miles), as THEY DO BREAK, especially after 40-50K.

If you want more info, you can email, IM, whatever.

Good luck
Jimmy

[EDIT: Lightweight as in a light car:
]

[Modified by Zero4875, 9:23 PM 9/11/2002]

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

I've had a 93 vr6, wasnt realy into modding back then but did read alot about both models:

basicaly the g60 is much less reliable then the vr6. like mentioned before, the charger blows pretty early and a new charger is about $2300. Also from what I read on the corrados also have a 2nd gear synchro problem, oddly my 3rd gear started grinding.

tunability well with any blown car its much easyer then NA. I believe a couple of companies offer pullies kits that supposedly get it up to 180hp. but if your pushing the charger harder mor probability of cracking.

gufie21 has a corrado that hes planing to do a 1.8t swap in you might wanna ask him about that.

I'd say get a vr6 unless you wanna track it and want the lighter front end.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
By the way Z28....I'll be in Jersey on Friday afternoon...NE part close to Paramus, you live near there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work in Paramus and live about 20 minutes from there..

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (b5-turbonium)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'd say get a vr6 unless you wanna track it and want the lighter front end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. VR6 is more reliable...maintenance & repair costs will probably be lower with the VR6, but it will be more costly to mod.

Be prepared to spend at least ~$1K per year (give or take) on maintenance & repairs.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (Electron Man)

Just sold my '92 G60. I had a 92 SLC (VR6) as well as the G60, bought both new, and quite frankly the VR6 was a freakin reliablility nightmare. I sold that after just two and a half years because of all the problems. The G60 I just sold with 90K miles on it and happened to be the most reliable car I've ever owned. I guess the teething problems had been worked out on my G60 as it was the last year of it compared to the first year of the VR6. I think my G60 felt more nimble than the VR6 though the VR6 could beat it in just about any kind of race. I kept both stock so I don't know how reliable any of the performance goodies are for it. Kinda funny, went to the grocery store one day, came back out to find a business card stuck on the windshield. On the back it said, "when your ready to sell, call me."
I called, dropped a price, he came over and took it home. I kept the car in immaculate condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (Zero4875)

I am a big Corrado fan and I will tell you this up front that you can ask people that own the G60 or the VR6 and they both will argue that their's is better. I have come to the conclusion that they both are great but there are pros and cons to both. One thing about the Supercharged is as Z28Driver mentioned that the G60's are known for their superchargers going bad. If you buy one and it has never been replaced be expecting to soon. They are beautiful creatures and I will own one, one of these days.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (glxpassat)

Debating G60 vs VR6 in a raddo is the same thing as debating 1.8T vs V6 in the Passat. There are fans of both. The G60 is easier to mod, but the Vr6 is smoother, a tad more reliable (overall) and had higher hp potential given enough money (can you say roots type SC?)...

·
wishin
3,664 Posts

My wife had a 93 VR6 Corrado. It was SWEET! That was back when we were dating and was my first real introduction to VW (other than old bugs). I had a mustang at the time and she'd woop my a$$ everytime
Of course I was a college student so I didn't have a GT, just the 150hp base model. Still though that VR6 was a blast to drive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (JimDog)

I had a G60, absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. Fun little car, felt much quicker than it actually was because of the tossability factor. My B5 is much faster.

I had the Neuspeed Stage II kit which had a smaller pulley, chip tuning, and a couple other things, IIRC. I also had an exhaust system.

·
Registered
872 Posts

I had a 1990 G60 for a year. I put about $4500 into it until I had to give up. It was breaking me. I know they are rare, but look for one that seems to have been well-maintained.

There is an older guy in my town driving a '91 that I would love to have simply because he takes care of it. Mine was thoroughly neglected before I got it.
New Dimensions helped bring it back to life, but it was an ongoing restoration. It was the most fun I have ever had driving, though. It is not a drag racer. It is a GT car. It is most fun driving in the mountains.

I still dream of getting another. It always turned heads even though it was stock and not exactly pristine. Even the H-boys had to stare.

Get one and expect it to break. When it is running, you will love it. When it isn't, try to remember how much fun it is to drive.

·
Registered
183 Posts

I love the Corrado. I saw one today on Lakeshore w/ rims and exhaust (at least). A really striking automobile.
VW should bring it back, you know? Screw the R32 Golf, gimme the R (whatever) New Corrado!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: What's the deal with the Corrado G60??? (ThisMachineKF)

A friend of mine has a G60 here in Salt Lake that he has put a lot of work into lately. Rebuilt engine, rebuilt supercharger, etc.. While it is kind of a weird car to work on it's still pretty cool. His first supercharger lasted 200K miles, the shop that did the rebuild couldn't believe it!. The engine had to be rebuilt because the stretch bolt holding the crank pulley on backed out and ruined the crank. He said it was running like a champ up until that happened. I think he has 210K on it now.

Actually he is selling it because he just bought a Jeep.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.