Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, two times in my life it happened that almost turned into a fatal tragedy.

1. I was about 12 years old and not a very good swimmer. I was on a little row boat with my dad's friend out in the middle of the Russian River in California. The dumbass stood up and the boat began to rock as he tried to get his balance, until the boat tipped over. Well my right foot got caught in the horizontal bars and I was stuck underneath the water. I panicked and kept jerking my leg, trying to free myself. Took about 40 seconds or so until I was able to free myself and came up for air. Let's just say I drank a lot of water. A drowning avoided.

2. The second time happened late last year on Dec 4th when my wife and I were involved in that head-on collision. I can recall very clearly EVERY SINGLE SPLIT SECOND of that incident (and can see it in my head) and it still scares me because I or my wife could've been killed. Like say it was the old 1990 Honda Civic (rebuilt from salvage title) that we were driving, we would've been seriously hurt or dead.

So those two events were the closest I've ever come to meeting my fate. Anyone else???

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was a senior in high school and my bestfriend, brother and his friend decided to go to the school football game. After we left my friend who was driving was playing cat/mouse with her boyfriend (he was driving his car). We went around this really tight corner close to 100mph and lost control. The car flipped 2.5 times and I went thru the windshield (I learned my seatbelt lesson that day) and ended up with a broken back. My life did indeed flash before me. Hopefully, I will never experience anything like that again!!!!

·
0 Posts
I was standing on a stoop (ny for porch) and this was back in the 80's, talking to a friend of mine (fats) whos was no angel, but he became one. As we stood there talking i heard a click, and the someone curse and another click, as i turned there was a tall kid in a black hood pointing and pull the trigger on a tech nine. Twice he pulled the trigger while i and my best friend back peddled to the stairs. my freind fats jumped in front of me and pushed me to the side as this dudes gun finally went off just missing fats. he was armed and he returned fire at these bastards they ran back to where ever they came from!

Sadly my friend fats was murdered later that year, he was a good guy who just couldnt get his life straight! :cry:

·
Registered
521 Posts
One my 1st and only parachute jump, the main canopy was only attached on one side. I had to reach up and release it. Then I went to grab for the reserve chute handle, but couldn't find it. It wasn't there -- it was attached by a tether to the main chute. My searching for the handle delayed the reserve from opening.
Landed ok though.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Got hit while doing ~50mph on my YZF 600 a few years ago. :thumbdow: Ironically I got hit by a girl who I used to date and we still had crushes on each other. She took it hard. :( So hard, in fact, that she was really weird for about a month. :weirdo:

The bike was totaled, I was banged up, (still have asphalt and dirt from the road in my skin and hip today), but my helmet didn't have a scratch. 8)

Pretty bad, and pretty close. I count my lucky stars to this day.

Call me crazy, but I may be getting another bike soon. '02 YZF R1:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70153

-Harry :beer:

·
Registered
573 Posts
The summer after I graduated college my friends and I rented an old building to turn into a private skatepark. Behind this place was a huge trainyard with probably 15 different sets of tracks. One day I see this train just creeping along, seriously like 2 miles an hour slow. I run up to the tracks and start laying down coins. What I didn't account for was the fncking ladder attached to the car. It hit me right in the temple and knocked me about 6 feet back. I woke up and all my friends were standing over me telling me I just got hit by a train. I had a nice hospital stay after that. I am a moron. Would you expect anything less?

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
Twice for me.
1st time 1982 South Atlantic, Falklands war. (That was between the UK and the Argentinians) I was onboard HMS Active, just about to climb into my pit when the general alarm goes off.
I had just about got to the ladder when the ship rolls over to about 25 degrees and the alarm Exocet ! Exocet! Exocet! comes out over the loud speaker.
The em guys had detected the signature of an incoming missile. I fell over and was trapped between the ladder and the hatch. I swear you could hear the missile as it roared over the flight deck above us.
The missile missed us but hit another ship about 1500 meters behind us.
I had to get some clean underwear after that incident.
2nd, in Jamaica on a chartred tri-miran, so between the fwd bows on the netting sipping my rum and coke. Some clown bumps into the opposite netting, pushing mine up and throwing me over the bow into the sea.
I went between the hulls and as the boat went over me I could hear the engine/prop chopping away. I really thought that I was finnished.
I managed to push myself away from the center hull and floated out of the stern.
Funny thing was the bXXtards were laughing and shouting "Leave him for the Sharks" Then I was really worried....

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I was a lifeguard when I was 16. I was at my pool, all by myself, trying to master this "twist" dive. well, hit my head on the diving board and into the water. If I would have knocked myself out, don't think I'd be here now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
when i was 17 i was driving my '74 vw camper from seattle to tampa. i stopped off in chicago to see my grandparents. and do some minor work to the bus before i headed the rest of the way. i was changing a fuel filter when the starter sparked (don't know why or how) and the gas that had come out of the tank ignited. it was all over me and then a burst of fire hit me in the head and threw me out from under the bus and my head chest and arms were all on fire. my grandpa was watering his garden and sprayed me down to put the flames out. then i ran to the house and sat in the tub with the water running and watching my skin flap in the water till the ambulance got there. i spent a week in the hospital with them peeling my skin off. them flew down to florida cause the bus was gone.

it sucked but i healed and bought another bus and all is well

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Got pushed into a swimming pool by my college roommate during a pool party. I couldn't swim very good at the time. I was struggling at the bottom of the pool until he jumped in to get me. :mad:

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I had just gotten a rental car because the volkswagen was in the shop for something or other(right after I got the passat -3 years ago). So they gave me a chevy lumina, Well I let my friend with out a license drive it first thing he says is "were gonna wreck this car" and I say hell no were not. There is a road here in town popular for jumping cars called calavo. I have launched off there in a few different cars but never at 100mph. While he was driving us 100+ off this jump I saw my life flash :nervous: we came down bottomed out the suspension and the car jumped back up and my friend turned the wheel ever so slightly (bye bye traction) we go flying 80mph through a dirt field until the whole driver side of the car scraped a tree then the front of the back tire caught the tree and completely 360'ed us when the car finnally stopped the back end was about four inches from another tree, and the driver door would not open. We both got scared shitless but no one was hurt. and thanks to that coyote running across the road :wink: I got a new rental car the next day.

P.s> good thread, and fyi chevy lumina are very safe :)

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I was with a friend that decided to stop by his uncles house to pick up some tools when nobody was home. Well the uncles armed and unstable roomate, that I'd never met, comes home to find me standing in the living room and proceeds to sick a loaded and cocked Colt Python .357 in my face.

The situation didn't diffuse until my friend came in from the garage and tell the guy to chill out.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Iwas spending the summer with my uncle in NJ. I was driving his Isuzu P'up to the mall. Cruising along at about 50 mph, on approach to an intersection. The approach was a long upgrade then through intersection and a downgrade.The road also drifted to the right.As I came up the rise I saw a Pontiac Grand AM facing me in the intersection trying to take a left, from my lane. there were two cars on my right getting ready tomake right turns, so I couldn't swerve out of the way. I stomped the brake and clutch, downshifted, tapped the brakes a couple more times quickly, continued to downshift and got the truck to break to the right. The rear end started coming out to the left as I slid about 50 feet. The driver side door smashed into her front driver side corner. I almost avoided the collision. Another 30' ft and I would have squeezed right trough.
I never blinked as my head broke and then passed through the door window glass. I remember thinking, Ok now I'm going to die as I watched my hat fly over the hood of her car and land on her roof. The little p'up was sitting rear left wheel ON HER HOOD! The bed of the truck caught most of the impact and twisted on the frame a good 35 degrees. I stopped myself from shaking. Realized the engine was still running, put it in first and drove it off her car onto the right median. I helped the woman out of her car as the police rolled up. The Tom's River Barracks was immeadiately around the corner and they HEARD the crash. They assessed the fault to her and let me leave. I drove the truck home with a completely smashed driver side and the bed hanging off the truck cockeyed scared as crap that my Uncle was going to pound me. He didn't.

I was a bit crazier in my younger days. Age 20 or so. My friends and I would go to Canajoharie NY (about .5 hour from where I grew up), to a state park called wintergreen. There is a gorge and rushing stream. You can hike down the stream bed a couple of miles passing over a couple of small waterfalls and stuff until you get to a 45' waterfall. The water cascades into a pool about 18' feet deep. If you jump off the falls at just the right angle and launch yourself out about 5 feet you can jump and land safely then climb back up and do it again. We would do this for hours on end. I got to the point where I am comfortable diving from that height. So I was standing on the top of the falls water rushing past, pushing my feet closer to the edge. I balked on a jump and slipped, fell and hit my hip on the shale cliff edge and bounced down 5 feet to a smaller ledge, smacked my head and bounced off. I remember falling in slow motion landing on my side about 2' off the rock face in about 4 feet of water. I was completely unscathed but for a bruise on my hip and a headache. Immeadiately after that I climbed back up and jumped again landing successfully and went home. I knew if I didn't do it then I'd never be able to jump a cliff or bridge again. I still do, and have jumped from 30'-45' hundreds of times by now in a few different states and Mexico.

I have almost died more times than I care to count. Many of the stories involve tales of over-exuberantly consuming copious amounts of party favors, so I will refrain from relating them, but you get the idea. :roll:

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I was involved in a rollover on route 95 on teh way back from Kings Dominion a few years ago...that was a scary experience, but luckily the car I was in had a rollcage...1992 Passat.

We walked away unscathed, all except a broken arm for a passanger in the back seat.

Now that Im in police work, im sure Ill have many situations that will bring me close.

·
Registered
432 Posts
1 - near mid-air collision between a beechcraft duchess and some clueless dumb-ass in a cessna 172 (long story that involves shooting approaches under the hood).

2 - near electrocution, happened to have rubber boots on that day (long story that involves feeding pigs in winter).

3 - near pedestrian fatality, some jack-ass t-boned a car and pushed it up on the sidewalk about 2 feet in front of me.

4 - near pedestrian fatality #2, virgin islands, seeing the sites, idiot in a micro bus comes screaming around a corner where i am waiting to cross the street, glances off a lamp pole and shoots up into a crowd of about 8 people most saw it coming and scattered. he managed to kill one person. drivers side mirror of the van dislocated my shoulder. idiot local whacked out on weed from what i could gather later.

5 - countless street bike "near misses". guess that's why i don't ride anymore.

6 - 69 firebird, icy roads and an idiot teenage driver, ran off into a field, metal fence post pierced the car (i am in the back seat) right next to me and misses my chest cavity by about 12 inches (i had to crawl out from underneath it to get out).

it's been nearly 5 years since my last "i almost got killed" experience! needless to say, i do not plan on sky diving or hang gliding anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
24 Participants
merk20VT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing