Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...HIDs? I've been reading these forums for a couple or three weeks now, as well as poking around over on Vortex, and there seems a lot of energy (read both time and money) focused towards people installing HIDs on their cars. Is it just for the "cool" factor? I've driven plenty of cars with and without HIDs, and for the time and money spent on making this modification, I just can't see that it's worth it, at all. Care to enlighten me?

Abe

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
HID's light up the road better than Halogen bulbs. it depends on where you drive and if the roads you drive are well lit at night and such.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've driven on back country roads (i.e. not lit at all) at night in both cars with HIDs and _properly aimed_ halogens. Didn't notice much difference at all, and like I said above, certainly not enough to warrant the cost.

Abe

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
from a guy who deals with lighting fixtures (on buildings and shit) and HIDs are the lighting reps best product, because they shed the most conformed , equal and smooth lighting beam, vs Halogen, high pressure sodium, mercury vapor among others. it also sheds lighting further than the eye can see, thus when your on the highway at night, road signs light up from far very bright, almost glowing, and they look so nice :thumbup:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I agree with 2.0GTI. I notice the change going from my Passat with HIDs to our Golf without. The cutoff is very clear, and the illuminated area is very bright. It takes a bit of time to get used to the on/off edges, however, I like the HIDs very much for night driving.

Ok, so the projector housings look cool, too. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
For sheer bling factor without dipping into the grocery fund you could always install those blue halogens and perhaps fool the untrained eye. Consequences, however, include facing ridicule from Osram or Sylvania workers who could undoubtably identify an HID imposter. Also hope your local or interstate law enforcement can't tell the difference, because they're only legal on OHRV's.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm with hoypinoy, I like the bling bling 8) but don't "really" need the lighting improvement.
The money for the conversion is ridiculous though, I'll take a Forge diverter, ARP chip and Tipchip for the same $$ and go faster than the speed of light!! :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
abegetchell said:
...HIDs? I've been reading these forums for a couple or three weeks now, as well as poking around over on Vortex, and there seems a lot of energy (read both time and money) focused towards people installing HIDs on their cars. Is it just for the "cool" factor? I've driven plenty of cars with and without HIDs, and for the time and money spent on making this modification, I just can't see that it's worth it, at all. Care to enlighten me?

Abe
Your right and I see no piont in spending all that money for HID's myself.
That money can go to alot of usefull mods. Just replace the stock bulbs with some Sylvania Silverstars and your set. :wink:
People are tearing up cars and stealing those HID's. Just ask the Nissan Maxima owners getting $4K worth of damage from someone stealing there HID'S :cry:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll agree that light _color_ is better - HIDs more acurately simlutate real daylight than halogen lights, which I suppose has it's advantages, but it always comes back to cost vs benefit for me. Seems like most people agree with that point. Though a little bling bling is always good! :D

Abe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts