Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm assuming you mean what would a stealer charge with you providing the parts and also that you are talking the 1.8T?

My stealer quoted me 1100 to do timing belt/tensioner/water pump parts and labor if HE provides the parts. Since ECS only charges about $260 for the ultimate kit that includes everything, I could have gotten by at the dealer for about 800 total (with me supplying the parts).

I ended up doing it myself and it took about 10 hours from start to finish. It was really kind of fun, just make sure you have ALL the tools you need and the Haynes/Bentley along with DaddyMatt's write up here. Get a good set of torx/allen (metric) sockets and a ft/lb and in/lb torque wrench, those tools will be used WAY more than any other. If you have any questions, plenty of people here have done their own and are ready to jump in.

Good luck,
-Chris

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is 1.8, and the dealer just quoted me at 600, just the belt, he said they would check the other belts and water pumps and what not while they were in there.
THanks for the info, but i am a novice mechanic, and i just dont think i have the time to do it myself

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I used an independent here, he installed the ESC kit for $345. (Belts, Tensioner, waterpump, and a Poly Snub I gave him)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm looking to get the same done to my '99 1.8T. I'm wondering why so many people here go to dealerships to have this done (or even consider it). I'd assume that a decent independent mechanic could do just as good a job as a dealership mechanic. Less expensive and probably no horror story to follow (like we seem to see here on a consistent basis). I'm basing my ideas on the fact that so many of the people here have done this themselves and I assume that they all not certified mechanics. Certainly a trained professional would do just as good a job. Is this strictly due to the warranty? I'm not concerned about that because I have an aftermarket warranty that covers more than factory and I can go to any licensed mechanic to have work done.

Why pay several hundred bucks more for the same thing? If there is a good reason, please let me know so I don't make a mistake in going to an independent

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know why people go to the dealerships. I think they have some idea that the dealerships do a better job. Most dealerships charge you by the book hour but pay the mechanics a flat rate for the job. The incentive for them is to get the job done as quickly as possible to maximize the number of jobs they do in a shift. As a result, they will bill out way more than 8 hours per bay in a shift. On top of that, you're getting screwed on the parts. I would estimate that between inflated parts cost, paying book hours and the high "hourly" rates that they charge, the customer at the dealership pays in excess of $150/hour to have their car worked on. In contrast, most independents pay their mechanics by the hour and bill the customers by real hours (they probably use All-Data book hours for estimates). Since they get jobber pricing on parts, they often charge you the same or less for parts than you can get at retail.

Huffster said:
I'm looking to get the same done to my '99 1.8T. I'm wondering why so many people here go to dealerships to have this done (or even consider it). I'd assume that a decent independent mechanic could do just as good a job as a dealership mechanic. Less expensive and probably no horror story to follow (like we seem to see here on a consistent basis). I'm basing my ideas on the fact that so many of the people here have done this themselves and I assume that they all not certified mechanics. Certainly a trained professional would do just as good a job. Is this strictly due to the warranty? I'm not concerned about that because I have an aftermarket warranty that covers more than factory and I can go to any licensed mechanic to have work done.

Why pay several hundred bucks more for the same thing? If there is a good reason, please let me know so I don't make a mistake in going to an independent

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am the second owner of the car and the time belt and water pump were changed by the first owner but he told me he paid arround 1000$ (ouch) at the dealership for having them both fixed! Pretty expensive if you tell me, you better off gettin the parts and doin it urself or gettin the parts and taking it to a indie shop for them to do it!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Huffster said:

I paid around $700, roughly half parts and half labor. No water pump, just TB, associated hardware, and all the other belts.

I would agree that using an indy makes more sense than using a dealer, but I would qualify that by saying that the indy should work exclusively on Audi/VW. Or, at the very least, exclusively on German cars.

Just MHO.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
you dont have to change the waterpump but it is only a little more labor (although still a pita) when you are doing the timing belt job to change the h2o pump, just a "while your in there" type thing, it could still last a long time but some people would rather not chance it. an aftermarket pump at ecs is only $50 or so. mine broke at 73K, i needed a new head.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
friech said:
At what milage interval does this repair typically made? :???: Or is it a replace on failure type of activity?
No, you don't want to wait until it fails! Our interference type engines means that a timing belt failure may, and likely will, result in major engine damage.

The interval for replacement if you are not under warranty is 60K miles. Running any longer than that on a timing belt is tempting fate.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.