Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiousity I called my local VW deal and asked them if they have ever replaced my timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. I couldn't remember, and thought I was just missing the record :oops: . Not suprisingly they replied, "No You Haven't"!!! OMG OMG OMG, what am i going to do?!?!? I have 105,000km, and they said never to go over 96,000km without replacing it, should i still drive the car, or should I put it on blocks until I bring it in?

What would you do?

EDIT: Then I asked for the price, and they said it would come to $750 CND, is that possible!?!?! It sounds too good to be true. Would that include labour, waterpump, etc.?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Definately think about replacing it sometime soon.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can pick up the Ultimate T-Belt Kit from ECS for under 280 USD and do it yourself.. That's what I did, the write-ups definately help :thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
we're canadians :lol: ... just don't beat the crap out the car and go pay a visit to a good indy and get the timing belt replaced along with the tensioner and waterpump as soon as you can...

merk20VT said:
Out of curiousity I called my local VW deal and asked them if they have ever replaced my timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. I couldn't remember, and thought I was just missing the record :oops: . Not suprisingly they replied, "No You Haven't"!!! OMG OMG OMG, what am i going to do?!?!? I have 105,000km, and they said never to go over 96,000km without replacing it, should i still drive the car, or should I put it on blocks until I bring it in?

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nek1976 said:
Engine swap :lol:
Audi´s 2.7T
LMAO, I was honestly thinking about that, ohhh it would be sweet.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nenad said:
Did you just finish watching Starsky and Hutch??
Do it... Do it... Do it...

no seriously, back on topic guys... is it something i need to worry about, i am planning on getting it done next week.

·
Registered
776 Posts
$750 Cdn sounds about right - I had the front cam shaft seals replaced under warranty and they covered the timing belt. I asked them to replace the water pump at the same time and it cost about $450 ($250 for the pump and the rest was labour). If you like, I can dig up the receipt and send more details.

The service schedule for our 2000 says 160000 km for the timing belt, but there have been a bunch of failures noted here on CB5 so everyone is recommending 96k replacement (my dealer here in Calgary 'recommends' it in their service schedule as well).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got mine done at 110Mm by Pfaff in Newmarket for $700 That included the tensioner but no the water pump. Get the pump done if not done allready.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Gord
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing