Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I don't think it really matters - I thought it came with synth but now that I think of it, it could be a blend, you can't really control, what it came with but you have control over what you put in. Get a good quality synth and change it every 5K or 6 months.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I bought my GLX I was told NOT to change the oil before the recommended 5K because it comes from the factory with some sort of special oil in it that helps the engine break in.

But does putting in synth REALLY help that much? This is my fourth VW and I've NEVER had a single problem with the engines.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I posted about this a year ago and got beat up for it... They told me the same thing. It's "smoke&mirrors" vudoo. Engines are built to much higher tolerances that 20+ years ago and don't take 5000 miles to break in. I changed my oil at 1300,4200,9700 and 15,700 miles. Right now I'm at 22,500 and about to change it again. I've lost no oil since the 600 mile mark where it cunsumed about a quart. No problems since.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
aj7360 said:
When I bought my GLX I was told NOT to change the oil before the recommended 5K because it comes from the factory with some sort of special oil in it that helps the engine break in.

But does putting in synth REALLY help that much? This is my fourth VW and I've NEVER had a single problem with the engines.
Uh oh ... here we go again

·
Registered
342 Posts
vuvision said:
aj7360 said:

Uh oh ... here we go again
If this is going to start a flame war... then I retract my question!

I was really more curious about the oil that is in there right now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
realbeentheredonethat said:
I wanted to know whether the Passat (1.8T) comes from the Factory will full synthetic - or synthetic blend?

Anyone?
From everything I've read, all VW engines are factory filled with full synthetic ...

I know the v6 is [per owners manual & research], my wife's 2002 Jetta
is [again per owner's manual & research], and from what I've read here
the various turbos come with a synthetic fill ... the W8 does too, and it
has very specific *first oil change* instructions.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
DocLightfoot said:
realbeentheredonethat said:
I wanted to know whether the Passat (1.8T) comes from the Factory will full synthetic - or synthetic blend?

Anyone?
From everything I've read, all VW engines are factory filled with full synthetic ...

I know the v6 is [per owners manual & research], my wife's 2002 Jetta
is [again per owner's manual & research], and from what I've read here
the various turbos come with a synthetic fill ... the W8 does too, and it
has very specific *first oil change* instructions.

Farbeit for me to rehash this whole subject again :wink: but it's not "very specific." It simply says first oil change at 5000 miles. It does not say UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT CHANGE OIL BEFORE 5000 MILES UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH,CHAOS OR WARRANTY WILL BE VOID. I'm aware of at least one B5 member that had his oil changed BY THE DEALER (not me) at about 1300 miles. They did not warn him or advise him not to change it. If "left" doesn't know what "right" is doing, how can anyone accept this 5000 break in oil change crap ?!?!? Just my opinion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.