I currently have: (Motor wise)

EVO Diverter Valve
Brullen 2.5 exhaust w/ downpipe
Evo Intake
Evo Front Mount Intercooler
SPAL Electric Fan Kit
APR Snub Mount
GIAC 1.1 Bar Chip

I am looking for a turbo upgrade that is worth the time and money. I don't think the K04 upgrade is worth it being that I have the b5.5 with the k03 sport and power gain will be minimal in comparison.

I was thinking T3/T4 hybrid or the GT28RS.
What software?
what else in needed?
Are there any kits available?

I do everything myself and looking foward to my next project.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
A lot of the transverse folks like the GT28RS. If I was in the market that is what I would be trying. My concern with the T3/T4 would be the spool up time but that depends on what housings/wheels you choose of course.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
who is doing there software? I guess APR would be obvious that hey are doing there own software.

Anyone have any direct experience on one of these kits?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think the k04 setup is amazing. I have it with the wett chip. i really don't think it's a minimal gain in power compared to your k03 sport. When your ready i can show you on the Belt Pky one day, or the hwy of choice. :) i guarentee that you will think differently when i'm done showing you ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
just2ill, i will take the challenge. :) Gladley, Whenever you are ready. :0 i'm always up for a run. :nervous: hey.. by any chance have we met yet? i'm trying to remember your car. Were you at BBB3 ?
ttyl

nick :lol:

P.S we can DB Drag as well !

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
CRD99 said:
I don't think either one is the GT28RS. I think they are versions of the GT28R
PES uses a T-28, APR uses a GT25. Both are quite a bit smaller than the GT28RS. There's really no such thing as a turnkey GT28RS kit for the Passat at this time.. although it's getting there. Do NOT go to such a big turbo unless you can afford a motor rebuild :)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The GT28RS has an option for T3/T4 exhaust inlets with a standard 5 bolt output. And there's people selling T3/T4 manifolds on eBay. Just keep your boost moderate and get the proper fuel delivery and you shouldn't go through TOO many engines... :p

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is the difference between the T28 and the G25? Are eigther of them ball bearing? Is it even worth going for a ball bearing turbo? I mean I am not building a quarter mile car... Does anyone have the PES kit with any advice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
DuttyB5nyc said:
just2ill, i will take the challenge. :) Gladley, Whenever you are ready. :0 i'm always up for a run. :nervous: hey.. by any chance have we met yet? i'm trying to remember your car. Were you at BBB3 ?
ttyl

nick :lol:

P.S we can DB Drag as well !
I was unable to make it to the BBB3. The condition of my b5 was not up to par at the time. I was at the BBB2, if you look at the bbb3 thread the last pic for the bbb2 GTG, my car was the third from the far left. All you can see is the kamei grill, headlights, and my plate. This pic wouldn't do much for me if you were trying to remember who i am. But I can tell you this much if u were there the music in my car would remind u if we met or not. :) Once my car is completed hopefully we can link up for that friendly run to 145mph :wink:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Macabre said:
CRD99 said:
I don't think either one is the GT28RS. I think they are versions of the GT28R
PES uses a T-28, APR uses a GT25. Both are quite a bit smaller than the GT28RS. There's really no such thing as a turnkey GT28RS kit for the Passat at this time.. although it's getting there. Do NOT go to such a big turbo unless you can afford a motor rebuild :)
Well let me shine some light on this a little. I have been following this set up for almost a year now and finally came to a decision 2 months ago when a rep named Rene from UPSOLUTE told me the software is available. I have talked to Andrew from 10xTUNNING and he is also an authorized retailer of UPSOLUTE software. Andrew sent me an email a week after i spoke to Rene to inform me the software is finally available also. Our stock motors are capable of handling 300hp to the floor with the right software and proper fueling. I met quite a few people at WATERFEST with A4's which is based on the same platform as our loved PASSATS. These guys are running big turbos with everyday drivability with no problems. GT28rs and the GT2871R software is available for ndbw Passats and A4's. I can't verify for DBW cars but NDBW is a definate. Dahlback racing also has a wicked set up for our longtitude motors also. I believe its a K26/27 hybrid turbo kit with external wastegate and Dahlback software. 2 of these cars was at waterfest with this turbo set up. One built for the track with over 500 hp and the other was driven everyday with 350hp. These were A4's Btw. Do some research you will be suprised at what you find.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, but as we've talked about before, no one brags about how many motors they've blown :) I'm just trying to temper the discussion with some negativity, it's my specialty. It's important to keep in mind that if a $3-5k repair bill would represent a significant financial hardship, this is not the direction to take, especially when you have to rely on maybe-kinda OK chip tuning that isn't proven or well tested. You'll find a lot of pop'd 1.8Ts at fairly conservative power levels on vwvortex and audiworld. There've even been a couple reported here on ClubB5.

p.s. The big horsepower Dahlback Racing kits replace all the internals and cost upwards of $30,000 USD. That's not the type of commitment many people are willing to make on a ~$25k family sedan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The Dahlback Turbo Kit for PASSATS start at $7500. TJMMOTORSPORTS had a full dahlback race set up at waterfest which would cost over $20,000. I was not talking about that type of set up. There is one available for everday driving with the K26/27 hybrid turbo and software that will give you 300-350 to the wheels for $7500. Call TJMMOTORSPORTS and ask about it or u can check out the website. Tuners spend alot of time trying to figure out ways of improving the 1.8t motors. Look at all the types of software options we have now for the 1.8t. It wasn't that long ago when chips became popular. Many people were afraid it would void the dealers warranty or it will cause some damage to the vehicle. It took some time but we became comfortable with chipping our cars. The same applies to the bigger turbo upgrades. The K04 became very popular and now we have a super K04 for DBW cars. The gt28rs is very common for the transverse engines with no problems running revo and upsolute big turbo software. Give it some time giac and apr will soon have software for this turbo, who knows they might have it already. Its good to open doors and try new things, don't be afraid of change. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.