Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a 2001 B5 with 37k miles, what should I look forasfar as problem areas??

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I bought my '99 with 36,000 miles. Have someone check with a VAG-Com for codes. Did they change the oil every 5,000? Have the brake fluid changed? Can't think of much more. You get it that early you can treat it right - switch to synthetic, change the Tip trans fluid, catch up with a brake fluid change, cabin filter. Good to go.

Is it a B5 or B5.5?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a 2001 with 43k and here is what went out on mine by around that mileage more or less:

MAF sensor
Vaccum lines
Control arms might be starting to go bad also

Rear brakes are probably gettting pretty thin, plus you will need to do all of the usual 40k mile maintenance items...try to get these thrown in before you buy it cause it can be pretty expensive if you don't do any of it yourself.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Control arms (don't believe the new bushing BS two of mine went on my 01)
sway bar links
make sure all the window regulators work (no odd window behavior)
driver side door sensor or all of them but the driver one goes quickest usually (easy way to tell: make sure inside lights go on when u open it)
vacuum lines
MAF sensor

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips guys, any more?

·
Registered
358 Posts
if its a manual make sure the clutch isn't going... when the owner isn't around drop the clutch aroudn 2500-3000 rpm and see if it catches. Mine didn't, so i had to get a new one when I bought it (at 50,000 miles)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.